Newer AMD Radeon GPUs Have Had A Tough Time With Linux 3.15

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Luke View Post
    Given that even a proprietary driver runs over the Linux kernel and neutralizes any "protected" audio and video paths, I'm surprised Hollywood does not require carefully removing all DRM code or code that could be used to reverse-engineer DRM from AMD and Nvidia closed drivers capable of running with the "untrusted" Linux kernel.

No computer can be simultaniously trusted by two parties who are in an adversarial relationship. It can be trusted by one or by none. Since users and kernel hackers control the Linux kernel, that means Hollywood does not control it and it can be (and SHOULD be) used as an attack vector against their DRM. Think: if the Nvidia blob is essentially the same code in Windows and Linux, an attack against Blu-Ray or streaming DRM written on a Linux box using Wine to trick the upstream provider could then be ported to Windows to allow all end consumers to copy their proprietary 5 channel sound without just cutting open the speaker cabinets to add resistors and mic jacks-and all their "encrypted" video footage.

Would I use a kernel written by the police to decrypt and mount my encrypted drives full of raw protest video? No fucking way!
    You seem confused.

DRM has *nothing* to do with encryption.

Comment

Originally posted by Nuc!eoN View Post
      Puh I really hope that kernel 3.15 will be alright. I already need to skip kernel 3.14 becasue in this release my R7 260x is quite sincerely broken, and the fix is told to come only in 3.15 :s
      You know, that fact this is considered acceptable says a lot for why people avoid linux. Things should not break. Period.

Comment

DRM refers to Digital Rights Management code and that definitely has to do with encryption
        since it encrypts data to protect it.

"Short for digital rights management, a system for protecting the copyrights of data circulated via the Internet or other digital media by enabling secure distribution and/or disabling illegal distribution of the data. Typically, a DRM system protects intellectual property by either encrypting the data so that it can only be accessed by authorized users or marking the content with a digital watermark or similar method so that the content can not be freely distributed."
        Short for digital rights management, a system for protecting the copyrights of data circulated via the Internet or other digital media by enabling secure distribution and/or disabling illegal distribution of the data.

Comment

Digital restrictions management requires some form of encryption

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
          I am of course speaking of digital restrictions management, not direct rendering! AMD and Nvidia both cooperate with Hollywood to support Blu-ray an DRMed streaming services If you look at descriptions of HDCP, it is based on moving encrypted content. The problem for Hollywood is that their advesary (the untrusted customer) must have the key to play the file, yet NOT have the use of that same key to copy the deciphered plain data to a file. This means the encryption is broken as soon as it is run on a system that permits the user to control their own computer, it's kernel, and access to the data busses. No "protected" path!

This is why it surprises me that Hollywood is not whining about Nvidia porting their Windows driver to Linux-or for that matter Windows XP, which predates the Microsoft-Hollywood alliance

Comment

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
            My R7 260X doesn't even boot (Linux 3.13/3.14, Ubuntu 14.04 LTS) into the system, no matter if dpm is on or not. It only works with nomodeset (software rendering) and installing Catalyst afterwards. I have a feeling this will be fixed with the new firmware that had been pushed few weeks ago, but I haven't had the chance to try yet
            That's the card I was considering. Except, I ultimately went with a used GTX 750. Made the right choice? It's not as powerful but at least, it works. Also, I don't need the extra 6/8-pin power connector.

I did have to do the same step in using nomodset and then installing the nvidia blob. I thought AMD had good open source support on newer (or at least, current gen.) cards.

Comment

Originally posted by Panix View Post
              That's the card I was considering. Except, I ultimately went with a used GTX 750. Made the right choice?
              As you see that is very similar choice: red or green - doesn't matter in both cases you will run a blob .

Comment

Seriously people, how do you expect your hardware to work without reporting the bugs? you don't want to cooperate with the devs and everyone else?
                At least do some tiny effort...

#radeon in irc.freenode.net

Comment

Not exactly

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
                  As you see that is very similar choice: red or green - doesn't matter in both cases you will run a blob .
                  Try the firmware update before the blob: it';s a much smaller download, and the open driver is now beating the blob in some workloads to boot.
                  A newly-released card usually does NOT work in pre-existing Linux installs right away, it taking anywhere from a couple months (new minor change generation) to a year or more (major architectural change) to get them online. That's why I normally advise people buying video cards to use with open drivers to get last year's AMD card unless the newer card they are considering has been getting good results for others. Never buy new hardware blind for Linux, used computers/parts haven't had much of that sort of trouble because by the time it's in the dumpster all the drivers have been out a long time.

Comment

Working...
                  X