No announcement yet.

"Ask ATI" dev thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I honestly don't know what overscan does these days; I figured it would have gone away years ago. I'll find out.
    Last edited by bridgman; 04 March 2008, 11:03 PM.
    Test signature

Comment

• Just one more Question

I'm running xp, vista and Linux here.
      Just got the 8.3 drivers for Vista and new hydravision for this BS.
      I don't understand why you reclaim to support Linux.
      You don't do it. Your drivers for this BS are ugly, not functional and dirty.
      So we are looking forward for a new generation of graphics implementation in CPUchip. If you are going on with your strategy to say you support linux, but don't really do, you'll loose. It's time. Use it.

Conrad Lindenmeier
      Germany
      [email protected]

Comment

• Originally posted by c@phoro View Post
        I'm running xp, vista and Linux here.
        Just got the 8.3 drivers for Vista and new hydravision for this BS.
        I don't understand why you reclaim to support Linux.
        You don't do it. Your drivers for this BS are ugly, not functional and dirty.
        So we are looking forward for a new generation of graphics implementation in CPUchip. If you are going on with your strategy to say you support linux, but don't really do, you'll loose. It's time. Use it.

Conrad Lindenmeier
        Germany
        [email protected]
        Mm...I just had to respond. I dunno about you, but I'm thinking that the changes and improvements being made with regards to Linux support for both the OSS front and the closed driver front are the real deal. Whether it actually is will be seen in due time, but for now, this is my impression.

...and the OSS effort is real btw...we've seen doc dump after doc dump already.

...and what is this CPUchip you speak of?

Comment

• Originally posted by bridgman View Post
          I honestly don't know what overscan does these days; I figured it would have gone away years ago. I'll find out.
          John, I just wanted to ask something if you know...

Do you have any idea or heard anything from Matthew and the rest team about EXA and XvMC support from fglrx?
          I mean if they have made any progress on these 2... cause you told me that 2D stuff is the high priority and indeed Textured Video is now a reality for my RS690 chip.

And what about Crossfire? Any hint?

Comment

• Hd3870x2!

Hi!

Could we expect support for the HD3870X2 in the near future (In official FGLRX driver)?

With or without crossfire!

Thank you

Comment

• Originally posted by Uchikoma View Post
              ...and the OSS effort is real btw...we've seen doc dump after doc dump already.

...and what is this CPUchip you speak of?
              I' ll try to explain:

I'm not interested in a lot of maybe buggy doc dumps.
              I'm interested in a graphics driver, which is functional.
              Going back to Ati_Fglrx 11/07 i can run OS Linux Suse 10.3 with AGP Graphics Ati 1600Pro rudimentary here. It took me 4 Hours to find this solution.
              Running the Vista-Os from Billy, I just installed the newest Catalyst (with AGP-fix in 8.3). Time needed: 3 minutes.
              And this is why I ask the Ati Devs to send me there
              Drivers for Linux for testing before releasing them. I'll test them for you Devs at Ati and I'll notify you if they are not functional, which is my experience with most of these Linux Driver Releases from Ati/AMD.

@Uchikoma: ' far I know next year Chips are at market with integrated CPU+GPU. This 'll be, from my my point of view, the time to change hardware.
              Until now I don't see a reason to choose an AMD/ATI chip for this.
              This is why I wrote that time is running and the devs at Ati should use it.

Excuse my English

Grts

Comment

• Please, Please Devs!
                Update aticonfig tool in order to contain all the possible options to be added at xorg.conf file!!
                Cause the 3 Textured Options are nowhere at aticonfig and they are really valuable now! I mean TexturedVideo, Textured2D, TexturedXrender.
                Also mtrr is missing and tls needs a value specified not on or off!

Amdpcsdb force us now to use aticonfig in order to record and apply any by hand change at xorg.conf so it is very critical to update aticonfig in order to stop editing by hand and then do tricks in order changes to take affect.

We don't need workarounds! We need a graphical Aticonfig tool so that a newbie friend to Linux can use it straight away with no need to search the web for days in order to understand what to do! And start bitching at ATI and Linux generally.
                Just make a simple gui and contain the descriptions from aticonfig --help or even better merge aticonfig into AMDCCCLE and just ask for a root password when the user reaches aticonfig's tab in CCC let's say...

I'd like to see more opinions on this topic cause I think it will make our lifes with ATI far easier!

Comment

• Originally posted by djdoo View Post
                  Just make a simple gui and contain the descriptions from aticonfig --help or even better merge aticonfig into AMDCCCLE and just ask for a root password when the user reaches aticonfig's tab in CCC let's say...
                  I agree, whole-heartedly. It's fun being the only geek around who knows how to make textured2d work, but your new features should be accessible to everyone, not obscured.

Comment

• No problem when only advanced users know of Textured2D/TexturedXrender, which is still experimental. But it is indeed a problem if only advanced users know of TexturedVideo which is needed for Xv on all cards since late 2005!

Comment

• Hi,

I have an ATI X1950GT AGP (rialto bridge). I also have this "blackscreen of death" problem, like the X2xxx AGP series, no response, no errors, and sometimes no logfile.

The only working driver is the 7.12 and versions before! 8.0x drivers cause this "blackscreen of death".

My chipset is a Intel 875p and intel_agp is runing.

Is that a known Problem?

Sorry for maybe bad english!

Many thanks and greetings!

Comment

Working...
                      X