Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So that's why PointSprites are broken in new code base

Comment

• Ya, a bunch of new rendering glitches cropped up (quake 4, penumbra, applications through wine).

Comment

• Originally posted by Kano View Post
        So that's why PointSprites are broken in new code base
        Now, now... Be nice, Kano... I'm trying to be... >;-)

Comment

• From cornelius in the 8.02 thread :

bridgman, what I really would like to know is when we can expect some crucial basic functionality to be available, like:

Working suspend with Compiz: Currently suspend fails if Compiz is run at least once in the current session, whether or not Compiz is running when Suspend key is pressed.
          Functional CRT/LCD button on laptops: I expect it to work just like in windows, i.e. switch between 3 configurations with different resolutions and clone settings. Currently the key does nothing. There is a thread about this here. Apparently it's only available on Lenovo laptops.

These are not even mentioned in "known issues". Why not?

- Ubuntu 7.10, Dell Inspiron 6000, Mobility X300, 1680x1050.
          Test signature

Comment

• Originally posted by bridgman View Post
            Functional CRT/LCD button on laptops: I expect it to work just like in windows, i.e. switch between 3 configurations with different resolutions and clone settings.
            This fits very closely to my question about randr 1.2. Please can ATI in the future make more use of subsystems from X.org people? They really tend to work better.

Comment

• Yes and no. My understanding from Matthew is that we added that functionality a year or two before the RandR1.2 standard was available (Matthew was involved in the early RandR discussions but we couldn't afford to wait), so following the standard was not an option at the time. Now that RandR1.2 is out, we will probably move the driver to use it over time.
              Test signature

Comment

• Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                Yes and no. My understanding from Matthew is that we added that functionality a year or two before the RandR1.2 standard was available (Matthew was involved in the early RandR discussions but we couldn't afford to wait), so following the standard was not an option at the time. Now that RandR1.2 is out, we will probably move the driver to use it over time.
                Please do so. I really disliked that I had to restart the X server all the time, when I changed anything in amdcccle (related to dualhead).
                It was possible to switch between single head and dual head etc. with xrandr, but sometimes the driver (or X server i don't know) would just go ooops and that's not very nice, too.
                In 8.443-8.452 then I didn't have any chance to switch the resolution from single head to dual head, because it would just crash.

Because of that I tried the open source driver and I'm amazed how well it works.
                So _that_ alone made me switching to the open source driver, although with that one I'm missing a lot of features, that ati-drivers have. (Powerplay, 3D acceleration (well, it works, but not too well), ...).
                If the ati-drivers would work that well regarding that, maybe I would switch back, but I'm hoping to see docs for my chip (r452m). *g*

Another question:
                Could there be split packages?
                Meaning, could there be a "driver" package, which contains the stuff needed to get the card working, and a "amdcccle" package?
                I'm asking, because many people (like me) don't really need amdcccle.

Comment

• bridgman,

Do you have plans to support the 3870x2, even just one of the gpu's on it? I know crossfire isnt supported at the moment.

Comment

• Originally posted by adurbin View Post
                    bridgman,

Do you have plans to support the 3870x2, even just one of the gpu's on it? I know crossfire isnt supported at the moment.
                    One GPU on the 3870x2 should be working in the latest fglrx driver, have you experienced something else?
                    Michael Larabel
                    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

• Originally posted by Michael View Post
                      One GPU on the 3870x2 should be working in the latest fglrx driver, have you experienced something else?
                      Oh I didnt realize it was already supported. I'll test it out once I get my raid issues worked out.

Comment

Working...
                      X