No announcement yet.

"Ask ATI" dev thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One for the ati devs: with OpenGL 3.0 currently being formed, are the devs starting to look at that, or is it a case of "wait until the specs are out"?
    And a completely random question: what do you usually have for lunch?

Comment

It may be wishful thinking, but it could be possible that the devs (I can't imagine there is only one developer working on fglrx) are working on something bigger like adding “real” FireGL support which probably isn't done in a month.

This month they released just a driver with the small fixes they could do besides the big stuff to satisfy their “a driver a month” release cycle.

Comment

Questions:

1) Are you aware of the artifacts in many programs (ivview, as of 8.42 now glxgears, fgl_glxgears) with R300 cards and are there any plans to fix this bug? This was originally only a bug with FSAA in 8.28, but with every revision it seems to get worse.

2) When do you think the R300 3D specs will be released to the DRI project?

I agree with a lot of the sentiment that the release quality seems to be going downhill.

Comment

Question:

Dear dev(s), will you ever answer to any question posted here? Or at least have Mr. "Deep Throat" speak to us unworthy morons?

Comment

Is it possible to have a complete list of aticonfig options..so far with the new drivers several are depreciated.
            (WW) fglrx(0): Option "NoTV" is not used
            (WW) fglrx(0): Option "FSAAEnable" is not used
            (WW) fglrx(0): Option "FSAAScale" is not used
            (WW) fglrx(0): Option "DMAMode" is not used
            (WW) fglrx(0): Option "DynamicClocks" is not used

Thats all I've found from my old xorg files so far.
            *edit 2 more
            (WW) fglrx(0): Option "EnablePageFlip" is not used
            (WW) fglrx(0): Option "ColorTiling" is not used
            Last edited by DarkFoss; 27 November 2007, 08:51 PM.
            Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety,deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
            Ben Franklin 1755

Comment

Originally posted by DarkFoss View Post
              Is it possible to have a complete list of aticonfig options..so far with the new drivers several are depreciated. ...
              Personally I prefer to have as little fglrx options set as possible, as for me it seems to work best with most left with their default values.

But perhaps more important: I found that the "old" way setting options via hacking the xorg.conf does not always work. Most (all?) of the driver options are (must be?) also mirrored in /etc/ati/amdpcsdb to take proper effect. This is what aticonfig does automatically, so I stick with the options provided there (see "aticonfig --help").

Currently these are (8.42.3 / X1400 with XOrg 7.2 on Gentoo):

Code:
              aticonfig --overlay-type=Xv --tls=1 --max-gart-size=256
              This corresponds to the xorg.conf options "VideoOverlay", "OpenGLOverlay", "UseFastTLS" and "MaxGARTSize" being set. And thats all. Additionally I commented out my whole "Module"-Section, as the XOrg defaults work fine for me here, too.

The only non-standard option is "XaaNoOffscreenPixmaps" set to "on" in my "Screen"-Section (IMHO this option does not apply to the "Device"-Section as stated elsewhere, see "man xorg.conf"). On my HW this prevents the infamous artifacts around the cursor and in the lower right corner from appearing.
              Last edited by Snake; 28 November 2007, 04:19 AM.

Comment

My only question is:

Why must you torture us linux guys month after month?

Thank you in advance.

Comment

What about ARB_texture_non_power_of_two? glxinfo says that we've got OpenGL 2.1 (on 8.43 or 7.11), but NPOT textures are part of GL2.0...

Comment

Intervieew with AMD's Bridgman from Beyond3d:

Comment

Originally posted by hmmm View Post
                      Intervieew with AMD's Bridgman from Beyond3d:

http://www.beyond3d.com/content/interviews/43/
                      Great interview, thanks for the link!

Comment

Working...
                      X