"Ask ATI" dev thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ivanovic View Post
    Use some pastebin site like eg pastebin.com (there are many other pastebins, too).
    Thanks This is my xorg log: http://pastebin.com/m5ad67302

Comment

• Does it look like the xv slowness and flickering of gl with composite are just a problem on my system (gk si HD3200)?.. It would be really weird since I had this problems with the Ubuntu 9.4 driver, as well as with the 9.5 and 9.6 drivers from the ATI site. By the way.. before I installed a new version of the driver I "purged" the previous. Any suggestions?

Comment

• Thats a general problem. Maybe users of faster chips do not see that so extreme, but my 3450 has really bad xv. Onboard vga is also slow - but it can not be normal that you need a highend gpu for faster xv!

Comment

• Originally posted by Kano View Post
          Thats a general problem. Maybe users of faster chips do not see that so extreme, but my 3450 has really bad xv. Onboard vga is also slow - but it can not be normal that you need a highend gpu for faster xv!
          This is so hard (for me) to believe since x11 is by far faster than xv and x11 doesn't get any hw acceleration at all. I still think either this is a bug in the driver, or something is wrong with my driver installation. Also the flickering for GL should be solved since 9.5. I postet my xorg log some messages before. Maybe somebody can read something out of it?

Comment

• Originally posted by LostinSpacetime View Post
            This is so hard (for me) to believe since x11 is by far faster than xv and x11 doesn't get any hw acceleration at all. I still think either this is a bug in the driver, or something is wrong with my driver installation. Also the flickering for GL should be solved since 9.5. I postet my xorg log some messages before. Maybe somebody can read something out of it?
            I guess it is still a way buggy driver, as far as i know it still doesn't work at all with HD4xxx-cards(R700). At least your card somewhat work.

Luckily for me so has the free open source driver perfectly working video, I have awesome flickerless video quality with HD-content and fairly low cpu-utilization using the free driver. I'm using a HD4350 and an E8400. Also, 2D is very good with the free driver; good stable accelleration with no smearing and very high IQ quite comparable to the viewing experience under Windows 7/Vista.

Too bad the free driver doesn't support any 3D-acceleration at all with HD4xxx-cards, otherwise 3D IQ i very good but 1-2 fps isn't too exciting. But i don't game on my Linux box, so I'm happy using the free driver for the moment.

BUT it _would_ be awesome to have a working 3D-driver for HD4xxx-cards under Linux, especially since the HD4xxx-series have sold so well so there must be lots and lots of users out there waiting for it to work.
            (I have a HD4850 in my Windows-box which will be migrated to the Linux-box when HD58xx i out, how nice it would be if 3D worked by then!).

Comment

• Sorry, but I have to ask; where are you hearing that fglrx doesn't work with HD4xxx cards ? We shipped Linux support for HD4xxx at the same time as Windows support.
              Test signature

Comment

• Originally posted by LostinSpacetime View Post
                Thanks This is my xorg log: http://pastebin.com/m5ad67302
                There are some odd messages about options in your log; are you sure this is the xorg.conf that resulted from running aticonfig --initial ?

Can you please pastebin your conf file as well ?
                Test signature

Comment

• Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                  Sorry, but I have to ask; where are you hearing that fglrx doesn't work with HD4xxx cards ? We shipped Linux support for HD4xxx at the same time as Windows support.
                  I stand corrected, it doesn't work for newer kernels and at the moment I am stuck at using the latest kernel because I have other hardware which just recently got support in the kernel.

Mostly my personal problem, I'm sorry for that, but that's what happens when used to Windows where one doesn't change the kernel very often(only when new major Windows-version comes out) and drivers mostly work because of that.

I will try to use a separate older kernel to change to during boottime, I'm sure fglrx-3D will work correctly then(minus xv-acc and uvd2 I guess). I just have to figure out how to smoothly switch between two different xorg.conf so as to not being stuck at a black screen with a blinking cursor when xorg is supposed to start. Thank's for asking

edit. my personal hardware problems above higlights what's been said in other places in this forum; to concentrate on making the open source driver fully working even in 3D would be much more beneficial for the end user: as we would no longer be stuck to using a certain kernel/distro as long as it is above the first supported version. That is how ie the Intel videodriver works, no binary blob, and thet is much better even though the Intel hardware of course is much inferior. That would be a real dream come true
                  Last edited by xeizo; 05 July 2009, 07:08 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                    Can you please pastebin your conf file as well ?
                    I've done some more testing and this is how it looks like.. XV is extremely slow (uses about 3x more cpu than X11) AND it scales wrong with VLC and mplayer. When I'm trying to use GL the players behave differently but both are very unstable. With VLC everything seems ok immediately after start. Also moving the window is ok.. but after going fullscreen and back, the flickering starts and and when moving the window the image doesn't keep up with the frame. With mplayer it isn't even possible to get a fullscreen image since the screen goes black and then crushes.

This is my xorg.conf: http://pastebin.com/m338d196

Thanks for your efforts.

Comment

• When ATI will main source its Xbit Video acc. for hardware acceleration for video cards ? Will onboard graphics like HD330 be in the support list ?

Comment

Working...
                      X