Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Dark_Star View Post
    2. When will ATI Overdrive get a GUI ?

Technical support and discussion of the open-source AMD Radeon graphics drivers.

Comment

• OK, I read the thread for #1 and I'm still not seeing any mention of vertical flickering - you have those words, but I didn't see anything related to them -- the rest of the thread is about (a) lack of sync-to-vblank with Xv (using GL output should work) and (b) video decoding not being fast enough for 1080P with a single thread decoder. Is the "vertical flickering" something that happens only during video playback ? Does the whole screen flicker, or just the video window ?

If you have an X3 processor then it would be good to try mplayer-mt (which I assume is mplayer using ffmpeg-mt), since that will make use of more than one core for decoding and should let you decode HD at full speed and res. I have seen it packaged for Arch and Gentoo but not yet for Mandriva, but I imagine you can build from svn.

The mandriva thread for #4 talks about a lot of different things but AFAIK most of them seem to relate to issues maximizing a video playback window while the output is being redirected. I think that was fixed (or at least something related was fixed) in 9.6, might be worth trying to see if that helps.

Are there any bug reports filed where our developers would see them, ie ati.cchtml.com ? You mentioned you filed a bug there before but I don't know if that was for #1, #4 or something different. What was the bug ticket you filed ?
      Last edited by bridgman; 23 June 2009, 12:00 AM.
      Test signature

Comment

• video playback on hd2400 and hd3200

I just bought a HP 6735b laptop with a hd3200 card. I was positively surprised about AMDs decision to support Linux more and after reading about the actual state of the drivers I had the feeling that the proprietary fglrx driver is in a pretty good shape, while the os driver is improoving fast and going to be able to use it within one year maybe. However, at the moment I am quite satisfied with the state of the fglrx driver but I had to play quite a lot to use x11 instead of xv since xv is not working for my card with composite.

So to my question:

Are the developers aware of the problems with XV on the hd2400 and hd3200 cards? It's really slow and you see only about 1/4 of the actual image. People also suggest to use GL since this way one gets allso vsync. In my case gl is not an option eather since is flickering and when I try to move the window, the image of the video stays in place for a while and moves to the new place after a few secconds. Also skype doesn't support gl eather.

Don't know if I'd rather report this bug to AIT/AMD... Anyway: after a fresh 9.04 install and compiz enable I get very slow video playback (a few fps, and a high CPU usage) with the fglrx driver packaged. When I try to play 1080p videos it even crashes X Window. I noticed: - When compiz is disabled video playback is fine (after restarting X) - with compiz enable, I get better result when I choose X11 instead of Xv in VLC or gstreamer-properties

This is the bugreport for Ubuntu. However, it seems I am the only one with the wrong scale problem .. hmm. Maybe I am doing something wrong?

Comment

• I haven't heard or seen the "only see about 1/4 of the image" problem, other than on early versions of the WIP open source drivers with KMS.

The rest of the symptoms you describe sound like you have a fairly old driver; can you check the driver version from the log or pastebin the log -- or just uninstall the driver and install the newest version from amd.com ?
          Test signature

Comment

• Why is it that the x86_64 version of fglrx requires the ia32 libs?

Shouldn't the whole thing be 64-bit?

I suspect amdcccle is the reason why ia32 libs are needed, but why is this needed?

Also, does multiple monitors with compiz work on Radeon HD 4890 with fglrx and/or radeon/radeonhd drivers?

Comment

• Originally posted by bridgman View Post
              I haven't heard or seen the "only see about 1/4 of the image" problem, other than on early versions of the WIP open source drivers with KMS.

The rest of the symptoms you describe sound like you have a fairly old driver; can you check the driver version from the log or pastebin the log -- or just uninstall the driver and install the newest version from amd.com ?
              Hi.. thank U for answering so fast. Indeed, the scale problem seem to be related to certain software. The VLC media player and skype scale wrong with xv while mplayer scales ok. However, I'm using the newest driver version (built debs for Ubuntu 9.04) and xv is by far slower (inpossible to use) than x11 and the flickering problem with gl is still there. I've read that with Catalyst 9.5 the gl problem was solved. It seems not for my card. I do not have any special options in my xorg.conf. Should I?

Comment

• Just to be clear, are you using 9.5 or 9.6 ?

Can you pastebin your xorg log ? It really seems like you're running some old code there based on the symptoms you are describing.
                Test signature

Comment

• There shouldn't be any flickering with either Xv or opengl. Slow Xv playback is still there with the official drivers, but that's just with composite on.

Comment

• I am using 9.6. I tried to paste my xorg log but the file is to long. Is there a way how I can post it?

Comment

• Originally posted by LostinSpacetime View Post
                      I am using 9.6. I tried to paste my xorg log but the file is to long. Is there a way how I can post it?
                      Use some pastebin site like eg pastebin.com (there are many other pastebins, too).

Comment

Working...
                      X