No announcement yet.

"Ask ATI" dev thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just want to add that those drivers was removed from repository because of unsupported kernel and back then even xorg 1.6 was not supported.

Anyway I would like to ask something, are you devs going to release some more code for 3d support on open drivers?

Comment

• There's quite a bit of activity in the open source 3d driver trees, but most of it is in the -rewrite branches; radeon-rewrite for 1xx-5xx and r6xx-rewrite for 6xx-7xx :

http://cgit.freedesktop.org/mesa/mes...radeon-rewrite

http://cgit.freedesktop.org/mesa/mes...h=r6xx-rewrite

The main focus for the radeon-rewrite branch is getting it ready for merging into mesa master, and that seems to be getting close. While that code stabilizes, we're trying to get the 6xx-rewrite branch ready for merging as well, so hopefully soon we can get all of the ATI-related work back into a single branch.

In case you're wondering why the radeon-rewrite branch is so important, radeon-rewrite is a single code base which can work with either the new KMS/GEM/TTM/DRI2 drm functions or with the older drm functions. This makes it a critical part of the transition to the new driver architecture.

Since most of the "not-yet-implemented" 3d functionality requires GEM/TTM as a pre-requisite, and since KMS and GEM/TTM are tied together in the current implementation, getting radeon-rewrite stabilized and into master is a pre-requisite for most of the other 3d driver improvements.
      Last edited by bridgman; 29 May 2009, 06:33 PM.
      Test signature

Comment

• I have made the decision to jump the shark and move to nvidia 9800GT for decoding and displaying hi-def content. I hung out for more than a year waiting for this functionality to come through on the ATI platform. Bought 2 motherboards 690G and 780G in preparation. Used the open source drivers, saw them improve, but couldn't wait any longer to use it for what I need, a HTPC. See ya!

Comment

• #bridgman
          KMS and 3d are most important things for me for now. From that what I see nvidia is not going to support KMS in the future so AMD, it is your chance to improve .
          Last edited by Mazur; 30 May 2009, 09:10 AM.

Comment

• I have noticed that under 9.3 and 9.5 drivers, in windowed OpenGL apps running under Compiz, it is not possible to use Anti-Aliasing.

This seems somewhat reasonable, if the GPU is managed exclusively by the compoziting manager, but I'd like to have this confirmed by someone 'in the know'.

So my question - provided this is possible on the HW level, is it possible with the current software stack? Are some specific xorg/dri/randr/etc. versions needed? Special Xorg or /etc/amd settings?

thanks!

Comment

• So... whens the next bitchin' driver coming out?

Comment

• When kernel 2.6.31 will be out we will get support for 2.6.29 =P.

Comment

• some websites claim next week. Why? It is almost always in the middle third of a month

Comment

• And when it comes out this mounth, do you think it will even support 2.6.29, not that i laugh...

Comment

• well, why don't you try to become a beta tester? then you would know for sure.

Comment

Working...
                      X