No announcement yet.

"Ask ATI" dev thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Right. We moved to a new architecture a couple of years ago which is quite similar to Gallium, and we did pick up quite a bit of performance in the process. I believe the new OpenGL driver architecture showed up in the Linux driver around September 07.

I do think that once Gallium is mature the open drivers will have the potential to come close to fglrx in performance. The weakest link will be the compiler - llvm can produce some really nice CPU code but I don't think the current implementation is designed to do a good job with explicitly superscalar (aka VLIW) architectures like ours. It's not an insurmountable problem, just means that more work will be needed in the very last stage which packs instructions into the shader instruction slots.
    Last edited by bridgman; 22 November 2008, 01:06 PM.
    Test signature

Comment

• I appear to be having a prolem where it thinks it needs to run with crossfire because it thinks it has found multiple graphics cards. "MultiAsic found: check whether two adapters have the same configuration" and then "Can't downgrade to required crossfire configuration, disable CF"

So my question is How does a person with only one card installed, who has never setup crossfire, 'disable CF'?

Comment

• Same here. And I think everywhere else. It says right there "Can't downgrade to required crossfire configuration, disable CF". So CF is disabled. Why do you want to disable it if it's already disabled?

Comment

• I wonder, since stream computing is already available on the mainline driver, about how long can we expect to wait for OpenCL to be added to the FGLRX driver.

Comment

• I was wondering if fglrx/aticonfig will be able to read all temperatures of my HD4850 ?
            On windows I have 4 temps, aticonfig -odgt gives me only core temp.

Comment

• Any plans for "generic" crossfire on Linux? (ie: Crossfire working for any app that uses OpenGL)

Comment

• Originally posted by cjr2k3 View Post
                Any plans for "generic" crossfire on Linux? (ie: Crossfire working for any app that uses OpenGL)
                Crossfire is already support on Catalyst for Linux!

Comment

• CrossFire exists, but only for certain Apps. (Quake Wars, etc...)

Not every app that uses OpenGL benefits from Crossfire, I want to know if that is somehere in the ATI roadmap.

Comment

• Originally posted by cjr2k3 View Post
                    CrossFire exists, but only for certain Apps. (Quake Wars, etc...)

Not every app that uses OpenGL benefits from Crossfire, I want to know if that is somehere in the ATI roadmap.
                    "If an OpenGL game does not have a CrossFire profile, the Catalyst AI system will set the rendering mode to Scissor by default, with no way to change it to a more suitable or faster mode, such as AFR." Mentioned in CrossFire Wikipedia page. Could the CrossFire profile override for OpenGL be written soon and/or is it already?

Comment

• Bridgman already say that, in Linux, CrossFire is App specific, no scissor, no anything on other apps.

Comment

Working...
                      X