This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pedepy View Post
    well i have myself the voice of optimism the past few releases but this time its getting pretty hard .. I mean its not so much about what the drivers can and cannot do, its about how its being made ... I havent tried the latest driver yet but if its true that its slower and as buggier than its predecessor, then someone at AMD is not doing their job right, period ... I think a good question to ask the devs, mr Micheal, is what the hell is going on behind those closed doors ?! ...

I just hope I can get to use my ati card to its full potential before it reaches obsolescence...

anyway, good things have happened in the past couple weeks, not just bad ones, lets not forget that .. and keep our hopes up that the next driver release could be named tagged the Christmas Miracle ... :P (even I though I think most of the rant is coming from our high expectations of just that, a miracle..)
    save your hopes for radeonhd and open source world, amd will never provide anything good. how long have we been waiting? how can you still believe in a *better* tomorrow?

Comment

amdccle seems to work with xcb now

(is it me or libstdc++5 is not needed anymore?)

Edit: only amdcccle needs libstdc++5 with the today release
      Last edited by Bigon; 21 November 2007, 06:12 PM.

Comment

Well this new driver hasn't changed much for me with my ATI HD 2400XT card. Scrolling in firefox seems remotely faster but my biggest problem is the screen going black for 2 secs (almost as if the x-server is crashing) every time I load a video in any player or in firefox via the mplayerplug-in. This problem started with the 8.42.3 driver.

Regards

Andr?

Comment

Uhm, gusy, i think they've planning to release their drivers at the same time as the windows driver, so to get rid of the number mess, with driver numbers everywhere

so, i think this is a just completed stuff released, who knows. ?

Comment

Who else thinks AMD should give up on fglrx development; and just work on sanitizing specs for the guys at novell faster?

"No Video playback is allowed on second head". Pathetic. Heres for still chuggin on 8.40!

Comment

Dottout: I have great patience. I've waited years for ATI (now ATI/AMD) to bring themselves to the top of their game with regards to their closed source. I'll keep waiting too. For now.

Now, the one thing I do note in the fairly unimpressive driver release docs is the inclusion of official Ubuntu 7.10 support. (early look it says). The question I then is:

Does it allow for Step 1 type installation? For those who don't know what I mean, I mean simply running the installer and installing it using the graphical user interface without doing the Step 2 commandline compile and install.

Comment

Fine. On 7.11 if I enable TV-out the max refresh rate I got is 60Hz. With the previous driver it was 85Hz.

Trek1701

Comment

Originally posted by jasa68 View Post
                  Aah new drivers finally, odd thing seems to me that release notes dont say anything about x-video problems (on AIGLX) as a known problem or fixed one. Guess i'll need to try those later on after i get some things done.
                  The X-Video problem when running compiz exists for any driver that uses Xorg's direct rendering infrastructure, so I'm not inclined to think that this is a fglrx issue, which may be why you're not seeing mentioned in the release notes.

Comment

Originally posted by Bigon View Post
                    amdccle seems to work with xcb now

(is it me or libstdc++5 is not needed anymore?)

Edit: only amdcccle needs libstdc++5 with the today release
                    That was the case with the previous release, too.

@Michael, you write in your article, that further modification is needed for the driver to work with kernel 2.6.24. I'm running 2.6.24-rc3 (with a few more patches) and it build fine for me.
                    I'm also running 8.42.3 (patched for 2.6.23) for quite some time now with kernel 2.6.24, so I wouldn't expect any problems.

One question, do you know if they fixed the SLUB thing?

Edit: BTW, so I was right, it came today (and this week).
                    Last edited by Berniyh; 21 November 2007, 07:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Berniyh View Post
                      @Michael, you write in your article, that further modification is needed for the driver to work with kernel 2.6.24. I'm running 2.6.24-rc3 (with a few more patches) and it build fine for me.
                      I'm also running 8.42.3 (patched for 2.6.23) for quite some time now with kernel 2.6.24, so I wouldn't expect any problems.
                      Corrected, the support ended up landing late in the development cycle.
                      Michael Larabel
                      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Working...
                      X