Open-Source ATI Rage 128 Driver Gets Revived

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Veerappan View Post
    My wife's secondary laptop is still a G4 iBook with a Rage 128... I last used it a week ago. I have been considering installing either an updated MacOS on it (10.5), or just going straight to a PPC linux distro. If the rage128 x.org driver gets updated, maybe that'll sway my decision (bonus points if someone ports the old dri1 mesa driver to DRI2 and KMS).

I believe that rage 128 chips also shipped on quite a few server boards for years after the rage128 had become obselete.
    I've done this with a Radeon setup a while ago on a G4 mac. There's a lot of things that you gotta do to get it working.

No visual effects on ppc machine with new 10.04 install. (it was working on 9.10). When I select "normal" effects in the appearances control panel, a dialog pops up saying "searching for available drivers" and then, all of the open windows disappear and re-appear a couple of times and then a box pops up saying that "desktop effects could not be enabled". i don't know how to find-out what version my graphics card is (please tell me how?) but i know it's ati. is there a way to enable visual

Comment

Originally posted by sireangelus View Post
      this is why i hate Linux.. can't this man find something more useful to do with is time, like working on products that people actually use?
      Care to explain how linux is related to what people spend their time for?

Comment

Originally posted by crystall View Post
        While most of the Rage family was EOL'd in the late nineties some derivatives were in widespread use on server motherboards so there's good chance that there are still Linux users with them. Wikipedia suggests that server motherboards using Rage XL chips were made until 2006: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ATI_Rage#RAGE_XL
        The Rage XL was a low voltage Rage Pro with a die shrink, it was part of the Mach64 family. That isn't supported by the Rage 128 driver.

Comment

I remember these things. I had one that would reliably BSOD WinXP when running eMule (even with the latest drivers) while it worked like a dream on Linux.

It was actually part of what ended up shifting me to using Linux exclusively.

Comment

(Grayson reads the headlines...) Oh--wow! What?

NO WAY!!!

Ah, how these are the good old days playing ActiVision's MechWarrior II in an IBM Aptiva L Series with an IBM MM75 monitor (and Sound By BOSE speakers built-in but missed having an AccoustiMass module--er, subwoofer). This is in an ATI Rage Pro 2MB. It had an Intel Pentium II 233MHz processor with MMX. Oh, joy... I wish that 1997 computer had came with ATI Rage 128, but I got ATI Rage Xpress 128 PCI card, which is cheaper compared to an AGP card. Sadly, that AGP slot wasn't utilized. I also upgraded to 128MB of RAM from 32MB, so I can play Final Fantasy VIII for the PC (and before that, Final Fantasy VII for the PC with Yamaha S-YXG50, a standalone XG software synth back during late 1990s now available as a VST format).

Man, how times have changed! I have never heard of Linux until... (sigh) until the last decade.

Off-topic: Anyone with an IBM Aptiva E/L/R series still remember the videos?

The Demo video of the IBM Aptiva Computer, USA English version.From the CD that it came with to show itself off.The Demo never sounded or looked so good like...

(You will need to view the video at 800x600 or the video will not fill the entire screen! Heh heh. Just kidding. Just kidding.)

Not to turn this thread into an Aptiva thread, but I like to speak my mind of nostalgia.

Comment

Oh, dang! I forgot to edit my post before the 5 minute time limit. (sigh) I get the impression that a 5-minute time limit will get me to raise my post count, which I'm not going to do that.

I forgot to mention that the S-YXG50 VST is Japanese only. I would not have included a link in my post.

Comment

I have an old Pentium 3/m Thinkpad with a Rage 128 at the office, and Its perfectly usable except for lack of compositing support. It's nice to see this getting worked on.

Those old machines still work great if you throw an extra GB of RAM in them, and run an appropriate distro.

Comment

I know someone who still likes to use iBook G4s, which also use this chipset.

Nitpick: I don't think there was ever a 64MB version of Rage 128. I think it was more like 8/16MB (the iBook has 8).

Comment

Originally posted by sireangelus View Post
                    this is why i hate Linux.. can't this man find something more useful to do with is time, like working on products that people actually use?
                    I actually use a Rage 128 in my mom's old desktop.

I really don't know if it's related to the driver or what, but recent versions of (L)ubuntu would start to a black screen and nothing further. I know the onboard Intel 845 chip I have works, but the port went bad, so I fell back to that Rage 128 GPU. I ended up just throwing Windows XP onto it and forgetting about it, but now I might be able to give Linux another go at some point

Comment

Originally posted by A Laggy Grunt View Post
                      I know someone who still likes to use iBook G4s, which also use this chipset.

Nitpick: I don't think there was ever a 64MB version of Rage 128. I think it was more like 8/16MB (the iBook has 8).
                      Actually, there was a 64 MB version, A.K.A. the Rage 128 Ultra.

Comment

Working...
                      X