No announcement yet.

Radeon Driver To Support ATI R500/600

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Someone knows how the radeon (for r500/r600) and radeonhd drivers compare feature-wise? What about 2d acceleration, 3d, EXA, RandR 1.2, etc?

Is it an idea for a Phoronix article?
    Last edited by jandem; 21 November 2007, 06:38 AM.

Comment

I installed the driver on my MacBookPro with ATi x1600, but it did't work...

When gdm starts, the screen turns white (it's strange because it's like a wave, pixels turns white from the centre to the rest of the screen...

Excuse my English... I don't know if you can understand me (I don't know how to explain it in my language neither)...

Comment

1900xt

tribe@him:~$ cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log | grep 1900
        (--) PCI:*(2:0:0) ATI Technologies Inc R580 [Radeon X1900 XT] Primary rev 0, Mem @ 0xe0000000/28,
        0xfddf0000/16, I/O @ 0x9c00/8, BIOS @ 0xfddc0000/17
        (--) PCI: (2:0:1) ATI Technologies Inc R580 [Radeon X1900 XT] Secondary rev 0, Mem @ 0xfdde0000/16
        R580 : Radeon X1900, X1950; AMD Stream Processor.
        M68 : Mobility Radeon X1900.
        (--) RADEONHD(0): Detected an R580 on a ATI Radeon X1900 XTX
        A52025 X1900XT BIOS

I would be happy to see 3d support soon :=)
        How can i support these wonderfull developers?

Comment

Does anyone know when will the radeon drivers get X1200/X1250 3D acceleration? AFAIK it's an R400 card, so it should be already supported, and only need some modifications.
          But what the hell do I know ? :P
          Someone knows how the radeon (for r500/r600) and radeonhd drivers compare feature-wise? What about 2d acceleration, 3d, EXA, RandR 1.2, etc?

Is it an idea for a Phoronix article?
          Agreed, should help from confusing people

Comment

Originally posted by Extreme Coder View Post
            Does anyone know when will the radeon drivers get X1200/X1250 3D acceleration? AFAIK it's an R400 card, so it should be already supported, and only need some modifications.
            But what the hell do I know ? :P
            The fixes to support IGP memory init for X200M may also be applicable to X1200/X1250 (I think that may be the only real blocker)- so, if you're someone who's brave of heart (or just technomasochistic... >:-) ) and are willing to tinker with a git release of the DRM stuff for R300...

Comment

Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
              The fixes to support IGP memory init for X200M may also be applicable to X1200/X1250 (I think that may be the only real blocker)- so, if you're someone who's brave of heart (or just technomasochistic... >:-) ) and are willing to tinker with a git release of the DRM stuff for R300...
              I know next to nothing about git, developing, or what goes deep inside a gfx driver :P

Comment

Feature comparison for r500 and r600 class cards:

RadeonHD: basically modesetting only for now. No acceleration or overlay. RandR is being worked on.

Radeon: Modesetting and basic XAA 2d acceleration. EXA doesn't crash, but it is glacially slow, from what I've heard because there is not yet a fully functioning DRM module.

My proposal is that the r500 ought to be supported on Radeon fairly quickly. The 3d engine could be ported, drm could be worked on so EXA works properly, etc. RadeonHD should help create a "cleaner" more next-gen driver. Possibly, if Radeon manages to get mesa working with r500, the RadeonHD people can work on developing a Gallium3d driver. Also, from what I've heard full support for the r600+ cards may not be practical under Radeon because the differences are so great.

Comment

Originally posted by TechMage89 View Post
                  from what I've heard full support for the r600+ cards may not be practical under Radeon because the differences are so great.
                  R600+ would be a perfect arena for one of the first Gallium3D drivers I suspect...

Comment

Originally posted by TechMage89 View Post
                    Feature comparison for r500 and r600 class cards:

RadeonHD: basically modesetting only for now. No acceleration or overlay. RandR is being worked on.

Radeon: Modesetting and basic XAA 2d acceleration. EXA doesn't crash, but it is glacially slow, from what I've heard because there is not yet a fully functioning DRM module.

Also, from what I've heard full support for the r600+ cards may not be practical under Radeon because the differences are so great.
                    RadeonHD is shaping up rather nicely as a rather complete and welltested modesetting driver. We have RandR1.2, but we also have forseen for those things that RandR1.2 overlooked completely. For now, RandR1.2 most closely complies to what users typically want, so it is the default.

Our driver also is being decently tested, and issues are getting fixed all the time. We spend ages working with users fixing all the issues that they come up with. So our modesetting is of a rather different nature, it's the one where time is spent on making everybody happy, not just ourselves.

Acceleration for r500 will be ported over in the relatively short term. This depends on our support work load.

Overlays are not that important, as r500 dropped some of the functionality expected of overlays. We can write support up fairly quickly, but it will not do what one expects from it. So this is not a major focal point.

X drivers typically do several things:
                    * modesetting (the brunt of the work, code, and those bits most people have the most problems with): this is where r500 is completely and wildly different from everything before.
                    * 2d acceleration: barely changed for r500, gone for r600 (but will be made up for through the 3d engine ev entually).
                    * video overlays: somewhat deprecated and not fully usable as expected anymore.
                    * XvMC: too muddled up in IP for now to port, i don't think it is even available on the normal radeon.
                    * DRM/DRI: X driver is just an interface to DRM/DRI and usually just handles part of the initialisation.

All that really is shared between r500 and before, as far as an X driver is concerned is:
                    * 2D acceleration for r500.
                    * DRM/DRI initialisation for r500.

Compared to modesetting, proper modesetting, these bits are tiny. So it makes no technical sense to hack avivo style support into an already huge and hard to maintain driver, this while porting over 2D acceleration to radeonhd is comparatively little work and very managable.

Comment

It's nice theres even more open source support for the R500/600 series chips but it adds confusion. Which is going to be "the official driver"?

Are these competing projects or is this effort simply a lifeboat until RadeonHD has matured enough for mainstream?
                      Last edited by koolmanoncampus; 23 November 2007, 01:14 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X