No announcement yet.

AMD Catalyst 14.4 Is Now Officially Available

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can say that 14.4 from AMD site installs fine with ubuntu 14.04. But I had a couple of compiz crashes. So it's not working 100% bug free.

Comment

Originally posted by AnonymousCoward View Post
      you can try --buildpkg method. download driver extract, chmod +x *.run and then

./amd-driver-installer-*-x86.x86_64.run --buildpkg Ubuntu/trusty
      sudo dpkg -i fglrx*.deb
      sudo apt-get install -f
      Used to work most of the time when I had the GT725(4850 mobility) w/Ubuntu unless the install scripts were borked which happened from time-to-time...

caveat IIRC it produces 4 packages(maybe 3) and they need to be installed in a certain order which I think is listed in the docs, but it doesn't take much to figure it out o.w. then just sudo dpkg -i them

Comment

Originally posted by narciso View Post
        I can say that 14.4 from AMD site installs fine with ubuntu 14.04. But I had a couple of compiz crashes. So it's not working 100% bug free.
        With catalyst you have a 50:50 chance your hardware accelerated programm is running at all. I can't understand the euphoria which comes with each new release of this piece of crap.

Comment

Originally posted by Kemosabe View Post
          With catalyst you have a 50:50 chance your hardware accelerated programm is running at all. I can't understand the euphoria which comes with each new release of this piece of crap.
          Folks are in euphorically hope that every next release wil be better and better

But I don't understand why linux proprietary Catalyst has a worse performance than Windows releases. Nvidia's binary blobs have almost the same performance in both OSes.

Comment

Originally posted by circulus View Post
            But I don't understand why linux proprietary Catalyst has a worse performance than Windows releases.
            It doesn't. Catalyst performs the same as well in OpenGL tests - it's just that it's OpenGL support is slower than Direct3D, while NVidia has done a better job of making sure OpenGL is fully optimized.

Comment

Fedora 20 + catalyst?

Is there any industry insight to when Catalyst will support Fedora 20?

I read somewhere that it doesn't work due to experimental wayland support built into some packages on fedora 20, so I guess it's not really AMD's fault it doesn't work.

But is there a repo or something to make it all a bit easier than manually re-compiling?

Comment

Originally posted by evanjfraser View Post
                Is there any industry insight to when Catalyst will support Fedora 20?

I read somewhere that it doesn't work due to experimental wayland support built into some packages on fedora 20, so I guess it's not really AMD's fault it doesn't work.

But is there a repo or something to make it all a bit easier than manually re-compiling?
                Catalyst works fine on Fedora 20 but the problem is Gnome-shell. The latest Gnome added support for Wayland and this conflicts with Catalyst somehow. You need to install another DE, like KDE for example, if you wanna use Catalyst on Fedora 20.

Comment

Hi there, thanks for the info.

I did install XFCE, and even launching it via startx as root (to take GDM out of the equation), it still gave me the sad face error message. It's more than possible I didn't quite get it right though.

I do quite like gnome-shell, but it's no major loss to move to XFCE really.

I'll try again tonight.

Comment

Originally posted by evanjfraser View Post
                    Hi there, thanks for the info.

I did install XFCE, and even launching it via startx as root (to take GDM out of the equation), it still gave me the sad face error message. It's more than possible I didn't quite get it right though.

I do quite like gnome-shell, but it's no major loss to move to XFCE really.

I'll try again tonight.
                    You can keep using GDM because it supports xfce, maybe you need to configure something...

Comment

@evanjafraser - if you like, I have a write-up with full instructions for installing AMD Catalyst 14.4 RC on Fedora 20 running the 3.13.10-200.fc20.x86_64 kernel on my blog. I am using KDE in my solution.

However, I just updated my kernel this morning to version 3.14.2-200.fc20.x86_64 and attempts to reinstall Catalyst 14.4 RC have failed. Attempts to install Catalyst 14.4 final have failed as well, and I'm currently investigating. If anyone else is experiencing this, I'm receiving the following error when attempting to install the 14.4 driver: [Error] Kernel Module : Failed to build fglrx-14.10 with DKMS. Let me know, as I'm sure we could use one another's help in resolving (or fully understanding) the matter.

Comment

Working...
                      X