AMD Catalyst 14.4 Brings Few Linux Performance Improvements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by molecule-eye View Post
    How's input lag in source engine games with mediocre hardware?
    Still here with this 14.4 RC driver. I tested the Half Life 2 on (low level) HD5450 and Athlon II x2 250, 4GiB RAM, Fedora 19 64bit, Gnome Shell 3.8 and 1280x1024 desktop resolution, and "input lag" is in place. In game, if I do mouse movement, game does nothing and after 200 - 700ms redraws the scene acording to my mouse movement. I have tried with direct mouse input, with filtered/unfiltered input and with mix of mouse acceleration and sensitivity values and lag is persist. But this is not only mouse lag, with use of keyboard in HL2 i have same experience. On Windows 7 with catalyst 13.12 runs HL 2 without this input lag.

Same is for Catalyst 13.12. With Mesa 9.2.4 OSS drivers HL2 runs with less FPS but without this terrible lag. On my second low end card (GeForce 210) with NVidia driver 334.21 runs HL2 relatively smoothly, without input lag and about 60 FPS.

Comment

Originally posted by circulus View Post
      Still here with this 14.4 RC driver. I tested the Half Life 2 on (low level) HD5450 and Athlon II x2 250, 4GiB RAM, Fedora 19 64bit, Gnome Shell 3.8 and 1280x1024 desktop resolution, and "input lag" is in place. In game, if I do mouse movement, game does nothing and after 200 - 700ms redraws the scene acording to my mouse movement. I have tried with direct mouse input, with filtered/unfiltered input and with mix of mouse acceleration and sensitivity values and lag is persist. But this is not only mouse lag, with use of keyboard in HL2 i have same experience. On Windows 7 with catalyst 13.12 runs HL 2 without this input lag.

Same is for Catalyst 13.12. With Mesa 9.2.4 OSS drivers HL2 runs with less FPS but without this terrible lag. On my second low end card (GeForce 210) with NVidia driver 334.21 runs HL2 relatively smoothly, without input lag and about 60 FPS.
      That sounds very serious. Any chance we can get a comment from the ATI devs? Have you reported the bug on their website?

Comment

Originally posted by Azpegath View Post
        That sounds very serious. Any chance we can get a comment from the ATI devs? Have you reported the bug on their website?
        No, I don't have reported this bug to AMD. This is "most common" bug for Linux Catalyst driver suite, as I see on Google, Ubuntu forums, Steam communities and other internet places. In HL2 may help set gl_finish variable to 1 in game console (https://github.com/ValveSoftware/Sou...mes/issues/431). Some other people advices to turn off tear free desktop feature in CCC, but I don't have much time to try install,uninstall and testing all posibilities with linux Catalyst drivers, so I am staying on Mesa OSS drivers which are (IMHO) best option for running AMD GFX HW on Linux systems. Catalyst driver suite for linux is crappy software. For Nvidia hardware on Linux systems, the situation is completely reversed. They have relatively good proprietary drivers, but Nouveau driver is not so good for daily usage.

Comment

Originally posted by circulus View Post

Thanks! I've stopped bothering to install the Catalyst betas since they can't manage to fix this dreaded input lag. I've never seen such an ENORMOUS bug go unfixed for so long and affect so many titles. Really, it's pretty damn hard to believe! I'm using the latest Mesa from git and kernel 3.14.1 and performance is very good in Source engine titles--hell, it's good across the board!

Comment

Potential Performance Improvements Found

Michael et. al. -

I performed benchmarks on my system running the A10-6800K Richland 4.1 GHz APU and noticed some potentially (very) significant performance improvements. As I note in the post, my environment is somewhat uncontrolled, but the high-end consumer APUs seem worthy of further investigation.

Comment

Originally posted by molecule-eye View Post
              Thanks! I've stopped bothering to install the Catalyst betas since they can't manage to fix this dreaded input lag. I've never seen such an ENORMOUS bug go unfixed for so long and affect so many titles. Really, it's pretty damn hard to believe! I'm using the latest Mesa from git and kernel 3.14.1 and performance is very good in Source engine titles--hell, it's good across the board!
              So, now and today I have installed Catalyst 14.4 final version and tried to run Half Life 2 and "input lag" still here, but if I set gl_finish variable to value 1 in HL2 console, "input lag" is gone and game runs smoothly (but with slightly low FPS than in Windows with same version of Catalyst). For now, I still on this Catalyst release.

Comment

Working...
              X