Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Is Disabling DPM Support For RV770 GPUs

Phoronix: AMD Is Disabling DPM Support For RV770 GPUs

For the many owners of "RV770" hardware out there with the once popular Radeon HD 4850 and HD 4870 graphics cards, AMD open-source developers are now proposing the dynamic power management (re-clocking) support be disabled by default to deal with open bugs...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

As far as I can tell, I haven't encountered any issues with DPM on my HD4850 with the 3.14 kernel.
    I had issues when I tried to enable it with the 3.12 kernel, but 3.13 seems to have solved these.

If it is disabled in the next release, I will certainly end up re-enabling it.

Comment

AMD seems to be disabling a lot of features for older GPU owners lately.

Comment

Originally posted by Dukenukemx View Post
        AMD seems to be disabling a lot of features for older GPU owners lately.
        Like what, exactly? AFAIK, DPM is the only thing they've really been messing around with like that.

Comment

I thought DPM was enabled in 3.14 and not 3.13 or was that for other models?

Comment

Originally posted by AJenbo View Post
            I thought DPM was enabled in 3.14 and not 3.13 or was that for other models?
            It was enabled for all cards before SI in 3.13, and some SI cards had it disabled. 3.14 enabled it for pretty much everything, I think besides some r series parts.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
              Like what, exactly? AFAIK, DPM is the only thing they've really been messing around with like that.
              I think he is referring to HyperZ.

I personally have had no problems with DPM myself, but I am using an RV730.

Comment

I've had problems with a HD3450 (RV610) on ubuntu on my notebook since I was testing DPM, back to kernel 3.11. To be specific, sometimes the system hangs at boot with a black screen and everything is frozen.

With kernel 3.14-rc7 it happened just once in a pair of weeks.

Comment

Odd. As far as I know, only Radeon HD 6800s were affected by DPM on kernel 3.13, as I had reported it several RCs before it went stable and it was finally disabled by default in 3.14. My Radeon HD 4870 machine runs perfectly fine with kernel 3.13 and DPM enabled.

Comment

Now I will have to enable hyperz and DPM by hand. I hope the list doesnt grow up.

Comment

Working...
                    X