R600 Gallium3D Disables LLVM Back-End By Default

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
    This has nothing to do with llvmpipe, or even radeonSI.

It's about the r600 backend inside llvm, which isn't as good as the compiler and sb optimizer inside mesa's r600g driver. Nothing else.

And the reason it's not is because no one is really working on it - everyone on the llvm side is busy getting OpenCL and the radeonSI driver working. Nobody cares about getting it working for r600g because that driver already works without it.
    My point was about llvm in general, hence why I asked about llvmpipe and its future. I was aware of vadim's sb alternative, so llvm wasn't necessary for anything other than opencl. However I want aware that the reason for removing it was basically one of shifting of resources rather than inherent problems with llvm itself.
    Last edited by liam; 19 April 2014, 02:38 PM. Reason: Correction

Comment

Originally posted by liam View Post
      However I want aware that the reason for removing it was basically one of shifting of resources rather than inherent problems with llvm itself.
      They didn't "remove" it, but make ability to have it compiled within Mesa while disabled by default. Actually it's pretty good thing; before I have to always re-compile Mesa manually if I want to use it because nobody at all have it enabled in builds.

Now Oibaf PPA provide builds with LLVM backend so possible more people will actually able to test it without pain in ass.
      Last edited by _SXX_; 19 April 2014, 08:35 PM.

Comment

If llvm backend is buggy and slower for r600, then it's ok to me to hide this backend to users.

About the radeonsi llvm backend, do we have information about its optimality? Would radeonsi benefit from a new sb backend?

Comment

Originally posted by vadimg View Post
          Honestly, I don't like to push my solutions, so if no one wants it, I don't care.
          People want it, but most people are not GPU driver developers (or don't want to be). And those who are are too busy with other stuff.

Comment

Working...
          X