Catalyst 14.3 Beta Linux Driver Fixes OpenGL Performance Issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pandev92 View Post
    I use this driver in 3 computers, an apu amd a8 5600 k, a radeon 6800 k, and a radeon 5670, and they have this problem, please stop advertising amd.

I use ubuntu with unity.
    Then tell me...why are you buying so many AMD products if you are so disappointed with them? Shouldn't you be buying nvidia products or intel products?
    I mean, I buy AMD products because I like them and they work good for me... if they wouldn't, I wouldn't buy them...

BTW: My gpus are 5750, 6850 and 7950.

Comment

Originally posted by AnonymousCoward View Post
      Is VSync on and is compositing enabled? And if the latter, is the unredirect fullscreen windows (or equivalent option) enabled? It could be that compositing with vsync is enabled which will introduce input lag and lower FPS for all OpenGL applications (if it's using the double buffered vsync version, and Catalyst probably is).
      No, VSync is always OFF and same goes with any form of composition that also is OFF.

In fact, i disable all that s kind of stuff in all PCs no matter OS and even remove wallpapers....my desktop is one of the ugliest possible ever made.

This is why in the past i blamed PulseAudio and even removed and purged it from UBUNTU-derivate....i don't recall (it was kinda long ago, didn't done it in recent years) but it seemed to make things better....i heard PA had improved but i'm starting to think that might explain it....dunno...to remove PA is a PITA and usually i ended up to have something with broken audio....

Comment

I use this driver in 3 computers, an apu amd a8 5600 k, a radeon 6800 k, and a radeon 5670, and they have this problem, please stop advertising amd.

I use ubuntu with unity.

i have an AMD 7870 and 6550D(llano on board) neither have these problem, please stop un-advertising AMD. There was a couple of drivers with memory leak issues wish source engines and that sucked but has been fixed for some while.

I use Arch with cinnamon/muffin.

As for the comment where the open source driver feels faster, that is so true even at lower framerates (l4d2 especially).... with exception (seems to be conspired against me as others think it is playable) to dota 2 playing like clay animation.

Comment

Originally posted by nightmarex View Post
          i have an AMD 7870 and 6550D(llano on board) neither have these problem, please stop un-advertising AMD. There was a couple of drivers with memory leak issues wish source engines and that sucked but has been fixed for some while.

I use Arch with cinnamon/muffin.

As for the comment where the open source driver feels faster, that is so true even at lower framerates (l4d2 especially).... with exception (seems to be conspired against me as others think it is playable) to dota 2 playing like clay animation.
          If you can't see that, are you blind or you never use windows. Enjoy slow performance.Enjoy amd.

Comment

Originally posted by vein View Post
            Then tell me...why are you buying so many AMD products if you are so disappointed with them? Shouldn't you be buying nvidia products or intel products?
            I mean, I buy AMD products because I like them and they work good for me... if they wouldn't, I wouldn't buy them...

BTW: My gpus are 5750, 6850 and 7950.

Why? Because I am really happy for windows performance with amd, so easy.

Comment

If you can't see that, are you blind or you never use windows. Enjoy slow performance.Enjoy amd.
              My personal experience using AMD's APUs, playing steam games occasionally:
              The performance is good enough for all available games. The quality/price ratio of AMD is far, far, far better than Intel+nVidia.
              And keep in mind we do need a healthy market. I have a single word for intel/nvidia users who do not really need the power: negligent.
              Another problem: Most amd linux users are too lazy to report bugs. No complains -> no real users/problems -> no resources for better drivers.

Comment

Anyone know if there's still that nasty input lag in Source games on Trinity? I'm not much tempted to try out this beta. I'm thinking some driver by the end of the year should make 2 year old hardware (by then) usable. Sad.

Comment

Originally posted by Kemosabe View Post
                  My personal experience using AMD's APUs, playing steam games occasionally:
                  The performance is good enough for all available games. The quality/price ratio of AMD is far, far, far better than Intel+nVidia.
                  And keep in mind we do need a healthy market. I have a single word for intel/nvidia users who do not really need the power: negligent.
                  Another problem: Most amd linux users are too lazy to report bugs. No complains -> no real users/problems -> no resources for better drivers.
                  Where is the official bug tacker for amd? :/, because I only see one but this is unofficial.

Comment

Originally posted by molecule-eye View Post
                    Anyone know if there's still that nasty input lag in Source games on Trinity? I'm not much tempted to try out this beta. I'm thinking some driver by the end of the year should make 2 year old hardware (by then) usable. Sad.
                    I got curious and checked for myself. Dota 2 performance is much better and while still a bit stuttery, probably better (generally smoother) than the open source drivers. Portal finally works with Catalyst. However, L4D2 is still a total input-lag-fest and unplayable. It's butter smooth with the open source drivers though. I didn't bother trying CS: Source. Metro performance is WAY better than with the Catalyst of several betas ago.

Comment

Originally posted by MWisBest View Post
                      All you can say is that the drivers are bad but you can't say how they are.

I have been using ATi since my little X300 SE, one of the first PCI Express GPUs. Windows and Linux both were just fine.

Fast-forward... a lot... and I get a 6620G+6750M laptop. That thing is nearly 3 years old, and it still flies and handles anything I throw at it. Again not a single issue with the drivers that lasted more than 1 catalyst release on Windows, and the OSS drivers are blazing fast now on Linux (Portal 2 is playable on that laptop, and works just fine for desktop 7850 users as well, so where you're getting problems from is beyond me) so I haven't used fglrx since about 13.4. If you check some of the benchmarks Michael has done here on Phoronix you'll see that the OSS driver is even beating fglrx on lots of stuff.

I also have a 7660G laptop, same experience with drivers and performance, absolutely fine.

I don't believe a word you have to say. If you had any sort of details or actually spoke English, maybe I would.
                      you apparently lack attention span as I ALSO MENTIONED THAT I HAVE F'ING BUILT two NEW PURELY AMD(/ATI_ systems AND that the drivers are STILL STEAMING PILES v. nvidia's, but you know, hay, just saying... of course you MAY ENJOY video tearing and other assorted crapouts that are EITHER driver failures or hw design bugs, while I, however MUCH PREFER the nvidia drivers that limit tearing SIGNIFICANTLY in comparison in bog standard install states, and apparently workaround (WELL! FFS!) any design bugs in their GPUs(unlike ATI(/AMD hell they can't even design a decent CPU core any longer for christ's sake!)).

Really the only thing that AMD/ATI whatevar you want to call that squished together mess of utter incompetence wants to call itself is that in their favor that they don't gimp opencl perf on their consumer cards, and well that's about all the good that I can say, so I'm FINISHED! FINIT! (Yes I really don't give a rat's --- IF there are purely open dfrivers or not, as even now years later the best that can be said about ATI's is that they exist PERIOD!)

Comment

Working...
                      X