Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Radeon Northern Islands: EXA vs. GLAMOR

Phoronix: AMD Radeon Northern Islands: EXA vs. GLAMOR

Next week I will have out some interesting 2D benchmarks between Intel, Radeon, and Nouveau on the latest open-source drivers... Those results are very interesting but for some other interesting data to get out prior to the weekend is a EXA vs. GLAMOR 2D acceleration comparison for a Radeon HD 6870 graphics processor using the Linux 3.14 kernel and Mesa 10.2-devel...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Xserver 1.16

From my understanding, the only useful GLamor code is that which is merged into what will become x server 1,16.

All performance optimisations and work are going into that.

While for card without EXA etc the current tests are sueful, surely for an across the boards test the only useul tests would be for this future code that will be as part of xserver 1.16?

Comment

What version of glamor was used? There have been a lot of improvements to glamor in the last few months.

Comment

Originally posted by You- View Post
        From my understanding, the only useful GLamor code is that which is merged into what will become x server 1,16.

While for card without EXA etc the current tests are sueful, surely for an across the boards test the only useul tests would be for this future code that will be as part of xserver 1.16?
        For older distros with older xservers it makes sense to continue to maintain the standalone glamor tree, so there will continue to be improvements there as well.

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post
          What version of glamor was used? There have been a lot of improvements to glamor in the last few months.
          The test was done using my PPA (the opengl version show the PPA sign) which has glamor git. According to the mesa git version glamor git version should be just before the recent big merge.

Comment

Originally posted by You- View Post

From: http://cgit.freedesktop.org/xorg/driver/glamor/log/

It looks like many of the recent performance enhancements have been backported to the standalone library. The push happened just over a day ago, so it's probably not included in the tests that Michael just did (based on oibaf's comment).

Comment

I just did a comparison on my CEDAR (radeon 5400) with: x11perf -f8text

It's just a single benchmark, but it's one of those that is spefically called out as being improved in one of the patches.

Using glamor from xorg-edgers: 12100 ?/sec
              glamor git with glamor/mesa debug symbols: 970000 ?/sec
              glamor git without glamor/mesa debug symbols: 2500000 ?/sec
              exa: 7290000 ?/sec

So the performance improvements are definitely present in the separate glamor library. This test is still not faster than EXA on my card, but the card is pretty low-end and the CPU is an i7-2600k. I can try again at home sometime on my radeon 7850, which might perform a tad better (but EXA isn't available to compare against there).

Note for the devs: glamor with --enable-debug is busted at the moment. There's two broken asserts in glamor.c that look like this:
              assert(!glamor_priv->ctx.get_count);

I believe that the ctx member of glamor_priv was removed. Non-debug builds work fine, however.

Comment

Originally posted by rrohbeck
                Awesome! Time to try a new build. The recent radeonsi code has been very stable for me (except for the crash displaying large JPGs in Firefox) but the performance wasn't quite there yet.
                xorg-edgers saucy already has the latest glamor git built. Not sure if oibaf's already updated his PPA. Of course, if you're not running Ubuntu, use whatever method is appropriate (PKGBUILD, ebuild, rpm, etc).

Comment

Originally posted by rrohbeck
                  Awesome! Time to try a new build. The recent radeonsi code has been very stable for me (except for the crash displaying large JPGs in Firefox) but the performance wasn't quite there yet.
                  Huh, JPEGs in Firefox crashed radeonsi also?

As i know they tried to fix it for EXA supported cards here http://cgit.freedesktop.org/xorg/dri...c7801270615b9c but that does not help here on r200, i can get that fixed only if i set agp aperture to be 1/4 of avilable vram and no more than that .

But if it crashed with glamor also, then i think ttm maybe just doing some weird stuff .
                  Last edited by dungeon; 14 March 2014, 07:36 PM.

Comment

@rrohbeck

So those crashes with big jpegs in firefox for me are somehow aperture size dependible... i got it to not crash anymore when i set aperture to 1/4 size of vram .

Comment

Working...
                    X