Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fast Color Clears Come To AMD's RadeonSI Gallium3D Driver

Phoronix: Fast Color Clears Come To AMD's RadeonSI Gallium3D Driver

Fast color clear support has appeared in patch form for the RadeonSI Gallium3D driver as a move that should further benefit the open-source GPU driver's performance...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

If you missed it, be sure to checkout our recent R600/RadeonSI Gallium3D tests on Ubuntu 14.04 compared to the Catalyst driver where for some workloads this open-source code is running at ~80%+ the speed of AMD's binary blob.
    Quite misleading statement since the article is about RadeonSI which is ~100% not recommendable for daily use.

Comment

Originally posted by Kemosabe View Post
      Quite misleading statement since the article is about RadeonSI which is ~100% not recommendable for daily use.
      Depends on what distro and what versions you're running on RadeonSI
      All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

That's not true, with the current versions of all the SI driver components it works better than fglrx now, at least in terms of stability/etc. You only want to use fglrx now if maximum performance matters, or you really need GL4.

Comment

Testing mesa 10.2 and kernel 3.14 (custom build, vanilla) i was confronted with slow 2d acceleration and awful performance for steam games.
          I wished i could replace catalyst ASAP but the current state of RadeonSI is only usable if you own GCN Gpu but don't want to use 3d acceleration (paradox isn't it?).

Perhaps i did something terribly wrong so feel free to share your experiences

(Using A10-7850K btw)

Comment

Testing mesa 10.2 and kernel 3.14 (custom build, vanilla) i was confronted with slow 2d acceleration and awful performance for steam games.
            I wished i could replace catalyst ASAP but the current state of RadeonSI is only usable if you own GCN Gpu but don't want to use 3d acceleration (paradox isn't it?).

(Using A10-7850K btw)
            Make sure you have a new version of the ati 2d driver, manually turn the 2d tiling on, and a new version of glamor. LLVM too.

Comment

(Using A10-7850K btw)
              you are doing it wrong, if you wanna go manual build you need not only kernel and mesa but

Xorg-1.15
              libdrm
              glamor
              xf86-video-ati
              mesa
              kernel
              llvm svn
              GLU
              GLEW
              XCB

recommended aditional
              cairo
              pixman

Note: you need cross-compile for 32bits if you are using a x64 distro too

if you don't know how to do it from sources you should go and use an alternate repository for your distro like PPA for ubuntu or lcarlier pkgbuild for Archlinux, opensuse, fedora rawhide, etc

Comment

what kind of graphical cards are involved in the project?

Comment

(Using A10-7850K btw)
                  You need llvm 3.4 instead of the stock one which is 3.3
                  Originally posted by jrch2k8 View Post
                  you are doing it wrong, if you wanna go manual build you need not only kernel and mesa but

Xorg-1.15
                  libdrm
                  glamor
                  xf86-video-ati
                  mesa
                  kernel
                  llvm svn
                  GLU
                  GLEW
                  XCB

recommended aditional
                  cairo
                  pixman

Note: you need cross-compile for 32bits if you are using a x64 distro too

if you don't know how to do it from sources you should go and use an alternate repository for your distro like PPA for ubuntu or lcarlier pkgbuild for Archlinux, opensuse, fedora rawhide, etc
                  Then recommended way for fedora users is to update mesa while enabling rawhide
                  Btw, libwayland* also need upgrades because some ABI issues, although not specified by rpm.

Comment

Okay i'm doing it wrong. Thanks for this hint
                    Does one of you kind forum members own a kaveri and can tell me if it can run for example "portal 2" or "sir, youre being hunted" or "Verdun"? In theory metro should work, is it playable?
                    I'd like to know if its worth the effort fiddeling around with it ...

(using archlinux btw and testing branch should be fine?!)

Comment

Working...
                    X