Radeon Open-Source Performance Over Three Years, Compared To Catalyst

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radeon Open-Source Performance Over Three Years, Compared To Catalyst

Phoronix: Radeon Open-Source Performance Over Three Years, Compared To Catalyst

Yesterday on Phoronix I published results showing the Radeon Gallium3D performance getting close to Catalyst for the Radeon HD 5000 series and newer GPUs that are supported by the mainline Catalyst driver. On the open-source side the hardware is supported by the R600 and RadeonSI (for the GCN hardware) Gallium3D drivers. Yesterday's results showed that on Ubuntu 14.04 for many OpenGL workloads the R600/RadeonSI Gallium3D drivers were now ~80% the speed of the proprietary Catalyst driver in many instances. While this is a great feat, how does it stand for older generations of AMD Radeon hardware? In this article are Radeon HD 4870 benchmarks looking at the performance of the open-source AMD Linux driver over three years of Ubuntu Linux releases and compared to the legacy Catalyst driver from 2011.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I thought Radeon was closer to Catalyst than that.

Sometimes, I think your benchmark results are broken... they're quite variable from one benchmark to another.

Comment

Originally posted by Calinou View Post

Sometimes, I think your benchmark results are broken... they're quite variable from one benchmark to another.
      Radeon, is name to collectivity of code, for different hw generations (and then we have some optimalization specific to sub generations, and different starting points for each generations, and different HR for each generation driver, and...).

Hopefully some of that disadvantage will go away, when patches managing memory transfers are included in stable packages (mainly kernel). Those should benefit 4xxx too.

Comment

Originally posted by Calinou View Post

AMD radeon HD 5000 series and newer are better with Radeon FOSS driver. Even compared to newer versions of catalyst. Nothing broken there.

Comment

what about performance govenor for CPU? was it on performance? I just wonder as it might have screwed the measurements up. The one or the other way. For both, open and closed source.

Comment

Originally posted by tomtomme View Post
            AMD radeon HD 5000 series and newer are better with Radeon FOSS driver. Even compared to newer versions of catalyst. Nothing broken there.
            i know the 6000 series is pretty health on radeon, however my SI is still only 1/10 to 1/4 the speed on games and can't render dota 2 at a playable rate unless graphics turned way down. I am thankful it at least stopped crashing tho, hopefully soon radeon si becomes "enough" because the benifits are staggering.. with exception to performance.

Comment

Not bad, it's a 5x speed boost over 12.10 (11.10 in many places looks nicer, but it's because of some features being stubbed at the time). And Catalyst is a 5.5x performance increase over it, so that's not very far from 5x at all.

Comment

Originally posted by nightmarex View Post
                i know the 6000 series is pretty health on radeon, however my SI is still only 1/10 to 1/4 the speed on games and can't render dota 2 at a playable rate unless graphics turned way down. I am thankful it at least stopped crashing tho, hopefully soon radeon si becomes "enough" because the benifits are staggering.. with exception to performance.
                dota 2 on my HD 7950 (SI driver) works fine for me, all settings maxed out. Maybe you have to update your kernel (3.13.5) or mesa (10.0.2). And mesa 10.1 is just around the corner...

Comment

Originally posted by nightmarex View Post
                  I don't know about Dota2, but my 7850 can run Portal 2 just fine with all settings maxed, on kernel 3.13.5 and mesa 10.1 rc3. Only problem: no AA.

Comment

Originally posted by r1348 View Post
                    I don't know about Dota2, but my 7850 can run Portal 2 just fine with all settings maxed, on kernel 3.13.5 and mesa 10.1 rc3. Only problem: no AA.
                    really? I thought AA was implemented just fine last time I checked - or is it because of portal 2 being beta still...

Comment

Working...
                    X