X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• genstorm
    replied
    Originally posted by _SXX_ View Post
    Unfortunately AMD open source drivers isn't mature yet, so old "stable" drivers are usually more bugged than newer versions from git. If you want to run actual games that released on Steam with playable framerate have to use recent drivers stack.
    Not anymore. Well, in any case it depends on your hardware. But right now, all my AMD systems (each being older than 1yr) run perfect with stable upstream versions, that is kernel 3.13, mesa-10.0.3, x11-base/xorg-server-1.15.0, xf86-video-ati-7.3.0.

Leave a comment:

• curaga
    replied
    Michael, this is not completely from HyperZ and so still worth investigating. We have reports from Luke and dungeon on this forum that confirm there's another regression besides the intended hyperz change.

Luke specifically tested it, dungeon's case is media apps that do not use the Z buffer.

Leave a comment:

• genstorm
    replied
    Looks like you talking about AMD Cataclysm.
    I haven't used blobs in years. Maybe I'm following upstream git more closely than you, or what you get through the PPA (whatever that is ) are vaguely tested snapshots instead of the steaming hot deal from trunk, maybe you were really simply lucky thus far.

Stable version that included in popular distributions usually missing important functionality. As long as I remember Geometry shaders for R600 won't be merged into 14.04 so what regular user should do, wait for 14.10? Or install Catalyst?
    I can not really give advice on binary distributions. I am sure there are PPAs (or whatever overlays/repositories are called on the various distros) with patched stable versions or at least snapshots, so you don't have to deal with the daily fallout that a git repository can bring.
    Last edited by genstorm; 02 March 2014, 09:51 AM.

Leave a comment:

• V10lator
    replied
    Originally posted by jonty789 View Post
    Ah i see thank you guys for your reply. Sorry i know i am noob lol but where do i put R600_DEBUG=hyperz in?

Do i just paste it in terminal?

Thank you guys
    either boot with it (for example with /etc/env.d/) or write it in front of the application (terminal: R600_DEBUG=hyperz glxgears). The second one you can even do on a per-game basis on steam, just modify the games startup options to something like R600_DEBUG=sb,nollvm,hyperz %command%

Leave a comment:

• jonty789
    replied
    Ah i see thank you guys for your reply. Sorry i know i am noob lol but where do i put R600_DEBUG=hyperz in?

Do i just paste it in terminal?

Thank you guys

Leave a comment:

• _SXX_
    replied
    Originally posted by genstorm View Post
    However, between a non-bootable system, black screens, no X or simple graphics corruption, anything can happen.
    Looks like you talking about AMD Cataclysm.

That's why, given the choice, you simply don't advertise this to regular users. And you are wrong if you think the majority is doing it.
    Unfortunately AMD open source drivers isn't mature yet, so old "stable" drivers are usually more bugged than newer versions from git. If you want to run actual games that released on Steam with playable framerate have to use recent drivers stack.

Stable version that included in popular distributions usually missing important functionality. As long as I remember Geometry shaders for R600 won't be merged into 14.04 so what regular user should do, wait for 14.10? Or install Catalyst?

Leave a comment:

• genstorm
    replied
    I beg to differ:

Originally posted by chrisr View Post
    The sooner a regression is reported, the sooner it can be fixed.
    That's when you report it upstream as soon as you notice.

Originally posted by chrisr View Post
    Why *on Earth* should anyone wait for a "final" version to be released first
    That's when you write an article about it.

Remember when Michael bisected a regression in the kernel, then decided to _not_ disclose the bad commit until several days later?

Leave a comment:

• chrisr
    replied
    People have to report the regression first!

When they matter, e.g. in final versions, yes. Have YOU ever used software based on live sources? Regressions may happen on any commit, might be fixed in one of the following commits.
    The sooner a regression is reported, the sooner it can be fixed. Why *on Earth* should anyone wait for a "final" version to be released first, when that *by definition* is going to impact ordinary users?

Thanks for noticing this, Michael.

Leave a comment:

• przemoli
    replied
    Then, lucky you. I understand that people using AMD open source drivers have for a long time been used to running on the edge of only the latest versions of software, even from git, because of the huge backlog they had to clear until recently. For the several AMD boxen I happen to take care of, I did that myself, emerged recent versions, tested them, then handed over the system to its users if OK. However, between a non-bootable system, black screens, no X or simple graphics corruption, anything can happen. That's why, given the choice, you simply don't advertise this to regular users. And you are wrong if you think the majority is doing it.
    For that matter I anti-recommend Catalyst.

Its more likely to get You into troubles. (And well. Clearing bad Mesa/kernel duo is as simple as using legacy kernel from Advanced options at boot time. Try that for Catalyst...)

Leave a comment:

• genstorm
    replied
    I think mostly everybody who actually play games with open source drivers use Oibaf PPA or other sources with fresh Mesa as well as latest kernel. Also as games I mean not only SuperTuxKart or OpenTTD.

PS: I use those drivers from git for about a year and never get any serious glitch or GPU lockup because of that.
    Then, lucky you. I understand that people using AMD open source drivers have for a long time been used to running on the edge of only the latest versions of software, even from git, because of the huge backlog they had to clear until recently. For the several AMD boxen I happen to take care of, I did that myself, emerged recent versions, tested them, then handed over the system to its users if OK. However, between a non-bootable system, black screens, no X or simple graphics corruption, anything can happen. That's why, given the choice, you simply don't advertise this to regular users. And you are wrong if you think the majority is doing it.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X