X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• genstorm
    replied
    Originally posted by chrisr View Post
    Personally speaking, I'm not arrogant enough to presume to try and tell someone what they can and can't write articles about on their own website. But the bottom line is that Michael chooses to assist with the development of the Open Source drivers, unlike many others who just sit back and complain.
    For someone who is frequently pointing out the amount of work that is producing content for phoronix, while at the same time producing a lot of hot air, I was merely giving advice in how to improve the overall situation.

Leave a comment:

• dungeon
    replied
    Originally posted by frosth View Post
    amd dev's made meta bug for hyperz:
    bug no 75112

and i don't think they fix it fast.

_SXX_
    you are my hero
    As Alex say someone need to find specific case

" We need to figure out what combination(s) of GL state cause a problem with hyperZ, then either disable hyperZ in those cases, or adjust the hyperZ-specific state to avoid the hang in those specific cases. Ideally we'd be able to find a small test case where we can reproduce the issue(s)."

From my angle when i know it was bugged also in r200 and also disabled by default in mesas from UMS time, and when i read what people now says it is clearly lighting state .

So maybe developers may enabled it by just disable it for lighting i think .

Leave a comment:

• frosth
    replied
    mesa bug 75112

amd dev's made meta bug for hyperz:
    bug no 75112

and i don't think they fix it fast.

_SXX_
    Looks like you talking about AMD Cataclysm.
    you are my hero

Leave a comment:

• nightmarex
    replied
    Originally posted by _SXX_ View Post
    Looks like you talking about AMD Cataclysm.

Unfortunately AMD open source drivers isn't mature yet, so old "stable" drivers are usually more bugged than newer versions from git. If you want to run actual games that released on Steam with playable framerate have to use recent drivers stack.

Stable version that included in popular distributions usually missing important functionality. As long as I remember Geometry shaders for R600 won't be merged into 14.04 so what regular user should do, wait for 14.10? Or install Catalyst?

actually until very recently the open source drivers would lock up my system using the radeon si opensource drivers. the performance is getting better on radeonsi just not quite there and power management is spotty. Catalyst has it's issues but i have been lucky, seriously can't wait for the OS driver to replace the blob but i wish you people wouldn't just dump on the blob. All I see are parrots, all I hear is birds.

Leave a comment:

• dungeon
    replied
    Originally posted by curaga View Post
    Michael, this is not completely from HyperZ and so still worth investigating. We have reports from Luke and dungeon on this forum that confirm there's another regression besides the intended hyperz change.

Luke specifically tested it, dungeon's case is media apps that do not use the Z buffer.
    Yep and i don't even use gallium drivers nor any hyperz .

Mesa version does not metter for me, bug is somewhere in kernel all i can say 3.13 is OK, and this regression is present even in first 3.14-rc1 .

Nope this halfed performance cant be just from disabled hyperz .

I thinked it is just for very oldish hardware, but glad to see all affected so seems like this will be fixed

Leave a comment:

• tomato
    replied
    Originally posted by genstorm View Post
    When they matter, e.g. in final versions, yes. Have YOU ever used software based on live sources? Regressions may happen on any commit, might be fixed in one of the following commits. In that case, where HyperZ has been disabled, you will get a fine Changelog entry with the final announcement, and all of those costly benchmarking and wondering 'what the heck degraded here' moments have been a waste of time. Time that is so badly missing to improve the poor average quality of other articles.

You can keep your insults to yourself.
    "live sources" you mean git releases? basically every day

many people that read phoronix probably do the same w.r.t mesa

Leave a comment:

• droste
    replied
    Yes, kernel is different. I'm more reserved in this regard. I usually track the drm-fixes (~airlied) branch which most of the time means that it at least somehow works. Yet I make sure to have at least one additional kernel installed that I can boot into if the drm-fixes branch breaks for me.

Leave a comment:

• genstorm
    replied
    Originally posted by droste View Post
    I'm not saying that your opinion is wrong, for users that don't know how to deal with a console this may not be the best, but I too haven't head any problems with most recent mesa git in years and I build it on a regular basis (every 2-5 days). The only problems I got were build problems or performance regressions (so nothing that actually stopped working). But if it does not build in the first place you don't install it Usually there is a full piglit run before major changes get in, so there's a high chance that it will not break everything.
    Hardware is a difficult beast; Regressions/problems may only happen (or become visible) on certain chips, or even revisions. That's why UVD works on most, but not on two systems of mine; that's why enabling DPM broke 1/3 of my AMD boxen in 3.12.0. In general, I have to agree that mesa git is doing fine most of the time, but you can never be sure. Anyway, everyone is free to use it; I just want to make sure it is not too widely advertised to regular users as they do not have the ability to cope with errors that might happen in their myriad of systems. It certainly isn't the go-to solution for newbie support threads.

Leave a comment:

• chrisr
    replied
    "Beg to differ" as much as you want.

That's when you write an article about it.
    Personally speaking, I'm not arrogant enough to presume to try and tell someone what they can and can't write articles about on their own website. But the bottom line is that Michael chooses to assist with the development of the Open Source drivers, unlike many others who just sit back and complain.

Leave a comment:

• droste
    replied
    I haven't used blobs in years. Maybe I'm following upstream git more closely than you, or what you get through the PPA (whatever that is ) are vaguely tested snapshots instead of the steaming hot deal from trunk, maybe you were really simply lucky thus far.
    I'm not saying that your opinion is wrong, for users that don't know how to deal with a console this may not be the best, but I too haven't head any problems with most recent mesa git in years and I build it on a regular basis (every 2-5 days). The only problems I got were build problems or performance regressions (so nothing that actually stopped working). But if it does not build in the first place you don't install it Usually there is a full piglit run before major changes get in, so there's a high chance that it will not break everything.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X