Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Likely Radeon Gallium3D Regression On Linux 3.14 + Mesa 10.2

Phoronix: Likely Radeon Gallium3D Regression On Linux 3.14 + Mesa 10.2

For anyone currently experiencing a slowdown of their Radeon Gallium3D open-source driver stack or are interested in helping out track down a new performance issue, it appears the Linux 3.14 + Mesa 10.2 configuration is regressing on Ubuntu 14.04 LTS in place of Linux 3.13 + Mesa 10.1.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: Likely Radeon Gallium3D Regression On Linux 3.14 + Mesa 10.2

For anyone currently experiencing a slowdown of their Radeon Gallium3D open-source driver stack or are interested in helping out track down a new performance issue, it appears the Linux 3.14 + Mesa 10.2 configuration is regressing on Ubuntu 14.04 LTS in place of Linux 3.13 + Mesa 10.1.

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=19941
    HyperZ is disabled by default since this commit:

Comment

Originally posted by AnonymousCoward View Post
      HyperZ is disabled by default since this commit:
      http://cgit.freedesktop.org/mesa/mes...afe60faff48d84
      Aww, you beat me to it.

I hope this is what Marek works on next. It'd be nice to finally get this working well.

Comment

I do understand the reason for the change. I myself got bit by this one:

Let's hope these issues can be resolved so it can be re-enabled by default again.

Comment

Whatever happened to those memory optimizations by curaga? No tests?

Comment

curaga & Marek patches (both work on memory management code), are not in Mesa yet.

Marek just posted patchset, while curaga have something cooking for this week or next. (Or thats what I read from comments below article about Marek patchset )

In other words we may see that work done for 3.15/Mesa 10.2/10.3

Comment

So now you write articles on testing and live versions of software? Maybe you should take a break instad, and improve articles that actually matter.

Comment

Originally posted by genstorm View Post
                So now you write articles on testing and live versions of software? Maybe you should take a break instad, and improve articles that actually matter.
                Yeah. Because major regressions in performance are nobody concerns.

STFU. And go play Angry Birds or something. Demanding that BENCHMARKING website stop BENCHMARKING is ....

Comment

Originally posted by przemoli View Post
                  Yeah. Because major regressions in performance are nobody concerns.
                  When they matter, e.g. in final versions, yes. Have YOU ever used software based on live sources? Regressions may happen on any commit, might be fixed in one of the following commits. In that case, where HyperZ has been disabled, you will get a fine Changelog entry with the final announcement, and all of those costly benchmarking and wondering 'what the heck degraded here' moments have been a waste of time. Time that is so badly missing to improve the poor average quality of other articles.

You can keep your insults to yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by genstorm View Post
                    When they matter, e.g. in final versions, yes. Have YOU ever used software based on live sources? Regressions may happen on any commit, might be fixed in one of the following commits. In that case, where HyperZ has been disabled, you will get a fine Changelog entry with the final announcement, and all of those costly benchmarking and wondering 'what the heck degraded here' moments have been a waste of time. Time that is so badly missing to improve the poor average quality of other articles.

You can keep your insults to yourself.
                    I do.

I'm literally using Mesa git.
                    And I recommend it to anyone who use OpenSuSE (pontostroy repos) or Ubuntu (oibaf repos).
                    Its easy, Its quick, and very benefitial.

And for sure its good to know that form now I need to set that HyperZ variable.

("But its beta" is good excuse for CLOSED source projects, where onlything You can do is hope for the best, and only priorities of devs matter. In FLOSS You can grapple with the code Yourself. As some comment above showed.)
                    (Never played AB, though I have nothing against them nor against casual gamers, You included. As long as You do not demand that others start changing their behavior.)
                    Last edited by przemoli; 02 March 2014, 08:33 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X