Likely Radeon Gallium3D Regression On Linux 3.14 + Mesa 10.2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by curaga View Post
    Michael, this is not completely from HyperZ and so still worth investigating. We have reports from Luke and dungeon on this forum that confirm there's another regression besides the intended hyperz change.

Luke specifically tested it, dungeon's case is media apps that do not use the Z buffer.
    Yep and i don't even use gallium drivers nor any hyperz .

Mesa version does not metter for me, bug is somewhere in kernel all i can say 3.13 is OK, and this regression is present even in first 3.14-rc1 .

Nope this halfed performance cant be just from disabled hyperz .

I thinked it is just for very oldish hardware, but glad to see all affected so seems like this will be fixed

Comment

Originally posted by _SXX_ View Post
      Looks like you talking about AMD Cataclysm.

Unfortunately AMD open source drivers isn't mature yet, so old "stable" drivers are usually more bugged than newer versions from git. If you want to run actual games that released on Steam with playable framerate have to use recent drivers stack.

Stable version that included in popular distributions usually missing important functionality. As long as I remember Geometry shaders for R600 won't be merged into 14.04 so what regular user should do, wait for 14.10? Or install Catalyst?

actually until very recently the open source drivers would lock up my system using the radeon si opensource drivers. the performance is getting better on radeonsi just not quite there and power management is spotty. Catalyst has it's issues but i have been lucky, seriously can't wait for the OS driver to replace the blob but i wish you people wouldn't just dump on the blob. All I see are parrots, all I hear is birds.

Comment

mesa bug 75112

amd dev's made meta bug for hyperz:
        bug no 75112

and i don't think they fix it fast.

_SXX_
        Looks like you talking about AMD Cataclysm.
        you are my hero

Comment

Originally posted by frosth View Post
          amd dev's made meta bug for hyperz:
          bug no 75112

and i don't think they fix it fast.

_SXX_
          you are my hero
          As Alex say someone need to find specific case

" We need to figure out what combination(s) of GL state cause a problem with hyperZ, then either disable hyperZ in those cases, or adjust the hyperZ-specific state to avoid the hang in those specific cases. Ideally we'd be able to find a small test case where we can reproduce the issue(s)."

From my angle when i know it was bugged also in r200 and also disabled by default in mesas from UMS time, and when i read what people now says it is clearly lighting state .

So maybe developers may enabled it by just disable it for lighting i think .

Comment

Originally posted by chrisr View Post
            Personally speaking, I'm not arrogant enough to presume to try and tell someone what they can and can't write articles about on their own website. But the bottom line is that Michael chooses to assist with the development of the Open Source drivers, unlike many others who just sit back and complain.
            For someone who is frequently pointing out the amount of work that is producing content for phoronix, while at the same time producing a lot of hot air, I was merely giving advice in how to improve the overall situation.

Comment

whatis the problem?

kernel or mesa?

Comment

Originally posted by Andrecorreia View Post
                kernel or mesa?
                kernel 3.14-rc1 then lower down to something .

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
                  Yep and i don't even use gallium drivers nor any hyperz .

Mesa version does not metter for me, bug is somewhere in kernel all i can say 3.13 is OK, and this regression is present even in first 3.14-rc1 .

Nope this halfed performance cant be just from disabled hyperz .

I thinked it is just for very oldish hardware, but glad to see all affected so seems like this will be fixed
                  Hmm, are you sure this is actually the same problem? I mean it could easily be that there is a real regression in the r200 driver, and this test is just showing the hyperz change for r600g/radeonsi, right?

Well, i hope it is the same, because then we might see it get fixed and have everyone's performance go back up.

Comment

Michael and interested it seems that going back to arch 3.13 default kernel and forcing active hyperz give me back full FPS as before, using mesa git ofc

Radeon 7770 2GB

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
                      Hmm, are you sure this is actually the same problem? I mean it could easily be that there is a real regression in the r200 driver, and this test is just showing the hyperz change for r600g/radeonsi, right?

Well, i hope it is the same, because then we might see it get fixed and have everyone's performance go back up.
                      For majority of tests in this article yes manual hyperz enable will just bring back performance of enabled hyperz , but not in all cases ;D... i assume that will not happen with triangle test and maybe Pray .

Comment

Working...
                      X