Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by przemoli View Post
    I'm literally using Mesa git.
    And I recommend it to anyone who use OpenSuSE (pontostroy repos) or Ubuntu (oibaf repos).
    Its easy, Its quick, and very benefitial.
    You should never ever recommend it to any _regular_ user.

And for sure its good to know that form now I need to set that HyperZ variable.
    Something that people found out by simply looking through the last few commits between 'normal' and 'degraded' state.

("But its beta" is good excuse for CLOSED source projects, where onlything You can do is hope for the best, and only priorities of devs matter. In FLOSS You can grapple with the code Yourself. As some comment above showed.)
    It doesn't matter for the majority of users to whom software development is a black box. They will not look into gitweb and search for the regression, but well, they shouldn't use it in the first place. They will be bothered by the news item though, while it is entirely possible that it will not matter for a final release and if, is going to be properly announced (or even taken care of by package maintainers).

Comment

Hm I never seem to get any problem with hyperz so how would I enable it? I using the oibaf PPA.

Change the flag to DBG_HYPERZ and reverse the logic
      so setting the flag enabled the feature. This disables
      hyperz on r600g and radeonsi by default. It can be
      enabled by setting the env var.

Where can i apply the settings please?

Thank you

Comment

Originally posted by genstorm View Post
        When they matter, e.g. in final versions, yes. Have YOU ever used software based on live sources?
        I think mostly everybody who actually play games with open source drivers use Oibaf PPA or other sources with fresh Mesa as well as latest kernel. Also as games I mean not only SuperTuxKart or OpenTTD.

PS: I use those drivers from git for about a year and never get any serious glitch or GPU lockup because of that.
        Last edited by _SXX_; 02 March 2014, 08:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jonty789 View Post
          Hm I never seem to get any problem with hyperz so how would I enable it? I using the oibaf PPA.
          Set this environment variable:
          R600_DEBUG=hyperz

Comment

Originally posted by jonty789 View Post

Change the flag to DBG_HYPERZ and reverse the logic
            so setting the flag enabled the feature. This disables
            hyperz on r600g and radeonsi by default. It can be
            enabled by setting the env var.

Where can i apply the settings please?

Thank you
            Code:
            env R600_DEBUG=hyperz your_app
            edit.
            too late

Comment

Originally posted by _SXX_ View Post
              I think mostly everybody who actually play games with open source drivers use Oibaf PPA or other sources with fresh Mesa as well as latest kernel. Also as games I mean not only SuperTuxKart or OpenTTD.

PS: I use those drivers from git for about a year and never get any serious glitch or GPU lockup because of that.
              Then, lucky you. I understand that people using AMD open source drivers have for a long time been used to running on the edge of only the latest versions of software, even from git, because of the huge backlog they had to clear until recently. For the several AMD boxen I happen to take care of, I did that myself, emerged recent versions, tested them, then handed over the system to its users if OK. However, between a non-bootable system, black screens, no X or simple graphics corruption, anything can happen. That's why, given the choice, you simply don't advertise this to regular users. And you are wrong if you think the majority is doing it.

Comment

Then, lucky you. I understand that people using AMD open source drivers have for a long time been used to running on the edge of only the latest versions of software, even from git, because of the huge backlog they had to clear until recently. For the several AMD boxen I happen to take care of, I did that myself, emerged recent versions, tested them, then handed over the system to its users if OK. However, between a non-bootable system, black screens, no X or simple graphics corruption, anything can happen. That's why, given the choice, you simply don't advertise this to regular users. And you are wrong if you think the majority is doing it.
                For that matter I anti-recommend Catalyst.

Its more likely to get You into troubles. (And well. Clearing bad Mesa/kernel duo is as simple as using legacy kernel from Advanced options at boot time. Try that for Catalyst...)

Comment

People have to report the regression first!

When they matter, e.g. in final versions, yes. Have YOU ever used software based on live sources? Regressions may happen on any commit, might be fixed in one of the following commits.
                  The sooner a regression is reported, the sooner it can be fixed. Why *on Earth* should anyone wait for a "final" version to be released first, when that *by definition* is going to impact ordinary users?

Thanks for noticing this, Michael.

Comment

I beg to differ:

Originally posted by chrisr View Post
                    The sooner a regression is reported, the sooner it can be fixed.
                    That's when you report it upstream as soon as you notice.

Originally posted by chrisr View Post
                    Why *on Earth* should anyone wait for a "final" version to be released first
                    That's when you write an article about it.

Remember when Michael bisected a regression in the kernel, then decided to _not_ disclose the bad commit until several days later?

Comment

However, between a non-bootable system, black screens, no X or simple graphics corruption, anything can happen.
                      Looks like you talking about AMD Cataclysm.

That's why, given the choice, you simply don't advertise this to regular users. And you are wrong if you think the majority is doing it.
                      Unfortunately AMD open source drivers isn't mature yet, so old "stable" drivers are usually more bugged than newer versions from git. If you want to run actual games that released on Steam with playable framerate have to use recent drivers stack.

Stable version that included in popular distributions usually missing important functionality. As long as I remember Geometry shaders for R600 won't be merged into 14.04 so what regular user should do, wait for 14.10? Or install Catalyst?

Comment

Working...
                      X