X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• konserw
    replied
    Hello all as this is my first post here
    Ad meritum: it would be nice to have somwhere sticked thread with all this info about where to get best drivers
    Do you know some nice repository for fedora 20 with mesa 10.1 ?
    BTW. Before using fedora I was convinced it is cutrting-edge distro, but now I'm stucked with mesa 9.2.5 wondering why ;/

Leave a comment:

• AJSB
    replied
    Thx again for all detailed info !
    I'm sure that not only will help me but also will help others that wanted some guide lines about how to do it in some specific distros...

Leave a comment:

• rvdboom
    replied
    Originally posted by AJSB View Post
    I'm using SLACKWARE or LINUX MINT (in a long long time ago i used OpenSUSE but at that time was a PITA to use codecs, i might try it again)...i guess my path with SLACKWARE is to compile everything from scratch...as for Linux Mint, would Ubuntu's Oibaf PPA will work with it ?
    If not i guess will need also to compile everything...
    Compiling is a bit of time to set up but you can easily make Slackbuilds from the existing ones to get what's needed.
    For Slackware, you'll need :

The most recent kernel for ftp.kernel.org
    git libdrm : git clone git://anongit.freedesktop.org/mesa/drm
    git glamor : git clone git://anongit.freedesktop.org/xorg/driver/glamor
    git mesa : git clone git://anongit.freedesktop.org/mesa/mesa
    git mesa-glu : git clone git://anongit.freedesktop.org/mesa/glu
    (optional) git mesa-demos : git clone git://anongit.freedesktop.org/mesa/demos
    git xf86-video-ati : git clone git://anongit.freedesktop.org/xorg/driver/xf86-video-ati

You'll also need to recompile the latest llvm to add shared libraries to the build, as they're currently missing from the official Slackware package. That means downloading all the files from a FTP mirror, like this one (I use slackware64-current) :

ftp://ftp.slackware.at/slackware64-c.../source/d/llvm

and add "--enable-shared" to the configure options.
    In a recent enough system, all this takes less than an hour.
    I've written my Slackbuilds from all this and a master script that runs the "git pulls" and then starts the Slackbuilds so it's fully automatic.

Leave a comment:

• AnonymousCoward
    replied
    Originally posted by AnonymousCoward View Post
    Use the wine CSMT branch if you are not already. It's required if you don't want the CPU to significantly bottleneck most games. Download it here: https://github.com/stefand/wine
    Edit limit succeeded so here is some more detail here:

You also need to make an new string in the registry at HKCU -> Software -> Wine -> Direct3D (csmt = enabled) and another string to disable strict draw ordering (StrictDrawOrdering = disabled) in the same place. The latter might already be disabled, but just to be sure.

Leave a comment:

• AnonymousCoward
    replied
    Originally posted by jrch2k8 View Post
    well michael just as a side note running Tera Online(which is based in ut3) in Wine all set to ultra + sweetFX(no smaa since mesa don't support it) shader optimizer for hlsl FX i manage in a 7770 using archlinux git mesa to reach 17+ fps stable where my windows7 partition manage 25-35fps, so the performance is not that abismal as you imply.

as a note i believe the difference is mostly because wine is falling back to software somewhere because gallium hud shows low activity in the GPU and since few days ago and latest llvm-3.5 i almost get 30 fps stable in unigine valley all set to ultra and 8x msaa at 1366x768, i suspect at 1920x1080 the GTT or Vram are getting too much pressure, i hope marek future gtt/vram pataches help a bit here
    Use the wine CSMT branch if you are not already. It's required if you don't want the CPU to significantly bottleneck most games. Download it here: https://github.com/stefand/wine

Leave a comment:

• asdfblah
    replied
    I'll just leave this here... http://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd...ief,26145.html . Note this:
    Source: Tom's Hardware US

Leave a comment:

• djdoo
    replied
    Originally posted by AJSB View Post
    Thx all for the clarifications !

I'm using SLACKWARE or LINUX MINT (in a long long time ago i used OpenSUSE but at that time was a PITA to use codecs, i might try it again)...i guess my path with SLACKWARE is to compile everything from scratch...as for Linux Mint, would Ubuntu's Oibaf PPA will work with it ?
    Codecs with one click...
    Code:
    http://opensuse-guide.org/codecs.php
    Install opensuse 13.1 and then open this link with firefox and click the red button! (after you do all the autoupdates and read the page's instructions!)

Leave a comment:

• AJSB
    replied
    Thx all for the clarifications !

Leave a comment:

• djdoo
    replied
    Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
    I'm sorry, but that's bullshit. 5 years ago, we didn't have any acceleration on most recent cards, now r700-class hardware is feature complete. r700 and Evergreen match blob performance in many workloads, while being more stable than the blob. We have same-day support for new hardware release (though it's not feature-complete yet).

The road to GL4 is a long one and it requires a lot of work on Mesa infrastructure, something AMD has to do together with Intel and others. It is progressing at the same speed for all hardware.
    I totally agree here...

@AJSB:
    For opensuse add these 2 repositories to Yast:

Code:
    URL: http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/pontostroy:/X11/openSUSE_13.1/
    Code:
    URL: http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/pontostroy:/drm-next/openSUSE_13.1/
    And then choose to change the system packages to those repositories, (the blue small letters above the package list) use the repository view in Yast software management. If any window of warning come up only choose to upgrade and generally use the package version only from those 2 repos even if 1 or 2 of them shows up to be older than the default installed ones...
    Improvements are chaotic in terms of performance and stability compared to the stock parts for Mesa, Xorg and DRM via the updated Kernel.

Leave a comment:

• jrch2k8
    replied
    Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
    Yeap. Ubuntu has the Oibaf PPA, openSUSE has the Pontostroy OBS repository. I would be surprised if Arch doesn't have something similar as well. Then in Gentoo you compile everything from source anyway, so there it's very easy to upgrade and you don't need any external repositories (will have to unmask all of the needed components, though).
    for arch is lcarlier pkgbuild repo, just google "lcarlier arch"

Leave a comment:

Working...
X