Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Press Talks Up Major Open-Source Linux Driver Features

Phoronix: AMD Press Talks Up Major Open-Source Linux Driver Features

Good news: AMD's press / global communications team is finally talking up their open-source Linux graphics driver features. Bad news: they appear to still need lots of training over their own Linux graphics drivers. Or is there some Linux driver shake-up happening? Here's some of what they are promoting right now with the AMD Linux graphics driver...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Lol.

Is it a prerequisite for those jobs to be clueless about what's going on in your company?
    Embarassing. :/

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
      The Thief video game is powered by Unreal Engine 3 but there's been no indication of Linux support coming at all. Even if there were Linux support, the open-source Radeon driver would be extremely unlikely to be able to handle running Thief -- if it managed to even render the game correctly with its OpenGL implementation, the performance would likely be horrid with the open-source driver.
      If I recall correctly, Painkiller: Hell & Damnation also runs on Unreal Engine 3, and at least on my Radeon HD7870 (radeonsi mesa 10.2) it works quite well at 1920x1080 with almost all graphical options set to high. It's true that there are a few minor glitches (mainly shadows on walls) but the game rendering is more than acceptable. So good job for the devs!

Comment

Now they openly show what many of us already knew: The AMD marketing department is lead by morons that don't have a clue.

Comment

Originally posted by entropy View Post
          Lol.

Is it a prerequisite for those jobs to be clueless about what's going on in your company?
          Embarassing. :/
          Yea, it seems more often than not dedicated marketing teams (and often times customer support teams as well) spout buzzwords without actually understanding the things they're saying. It's too bad...

Comment

The Catalyst 14.2 Beta has just been released for Windows but indeed it doesn't look like there will be a Linux build just yet.

PR guys often have no idea what they are talking about, but I think it is cool that they managed to send anything at all to the Linux community. Hopefully they'll get some training and do some more (useful) work in the future.

Comment

The overall moody state of mind I tend to see everywhere around me lately begins to be tiresome.
              Instead of joking about a marketing department talking about Linux, shouldn't we just be pleased that they now actually take the time to talk about their Linux support?

Comment

well michael just as a side note running Tera Online(which is based in ut3) in Wine all set to ultra + sweetFX(no smaa since mesa don't support it) shader optimizer for hlsl FX i manage in a 7770 using archlinux git mesa to reach 17+ fps stable where my windows7 partition manage 25-35fps, so the performance is not that abismal as you imply.

as a note i believe the difference is mostly because wine is falling back to software somewhere because gallium hud shows low activity in the GPU and since few days ago and latest llvm-3.5 i almost get 30 fps stable in unigine valley all set to ultra and 8x msaa at 1366x768, i suspect at 1920x1080 the GTT or Vram are getting too much pressure, i hope marek future gtt/vram pataches help a bit here

Comment

Suggestion to Michael - respond to them with "I would like to test this and many other titles, but due to the lack of hardware contribution from AMD (compared to Nvidia) - it would be a really hard task to do. Please help me join your party!"
                  Because,.. it is so. AMD do terrific job with open driver, but they completely ignore that you are the number 1 Linux (graphical) benchmarking source.

Comment

Originally posted by brosis View Post
                    Suggestion to Michael - respond to them with "I would like to test this and many other titles, but due to the lack of hardware contribution from AMD (compared to Nvidia) - it would be a really hard task to do. Please help me join your party!"
                    Because,.. it is so. AMD do terrific job with open driver, but they completely ignore that you are the number 1 Linux (graphical) benchmarking source.
                    Hehe yeah just make a photo of the 2000+ USD worth of GPUs NVIDIA sent you and attach it to the e-Mail.

Comment

Working...
                    X