X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GreatEmerald
    replied
    Originally posted by DrYak View Post
    The best solution, it to look for a 3rd party repository that proposes up-to-date complete stack with everything needed.
    Ubuntu has some PPA for that (I've read on Phoronix).
    And in my own experience, OpenSUSE has lots of interesting thing on their extra repositories.
    Yeap. Ubuntu has the Oibaf PPA, openSUSE has the Pontostroy OBS repository. I would be surprised if Arch doesn't have something similar as well. Then in Gentoo you compile everything from source anyway, so there it's very easy to upgrade and you don't need any external repositories (will have to unmask all of the needed components, though).

Leave a comment:

• DrYak
    replied
    Originally posted by AJSB View Post
    If i simply compile Kernel 3.14 rc4 i should get automatically Radeon in a relative up to date form, right ? ...or do i need to download and compile some more extra stuff ?!?
    Short answer: sorry, no. You would probably also need an up-to-date mesa gallium3d driver, and perhaps a few auxiliary stuff (like libdrm and llvm).

that's what Michael was referring to:
    Most of these recent open-source Linux graphics driver improvements are terrific, but due to the structure of the open-source driver and the code being spread across multiple components with no easy and generic installation path (compared to the binary Catalyst driver on Windows and Linux being self-contained within a single binary file), it will be some months before most Linux users see these driver improvements. {...} unless you resort to building the code yourself or relying upon unsupported, third-party repositories.
    The best solution, it to look for a 3rd party repository that proposes up-to-date complete stack with everything needed.
    Ubuntu has some PPA for that (I've read on Phoronix).
    And in my own experience, OpenSUSE has lots of interesting thing on their extra repositories.

For the detail:
    - the kernel module is responsible for low-level handling and talking to the hardware. So yes, as you mention, you need an up-to-date kernel to get support for the latest functions.
    - mesa is responsible for handling the higher level 3D: taking OpenGL commands as input and sending the correct device-specific requests and commands to the graphic card. So to support the latest advances in 3D, you ALSO need an up-to-date mesa.
    - libdrm helps the different pieces getting along. As long as the one in your distro isn't too out-of-date, it might be enough.
    - llvm is a compiler and among lots of other stuff, it can also be used to compile code which should run on the graphic card (shaders, opencl code, etc.) into low-level instruction that can be understood by the card. AMD cards are supported from llvm 3.4 onward (but some more advanced optimisation - and thus better performance when running shader code - might be available in more recent versions)

Leave a comment:

• pingufunkybeat
    replied
    Originally posted by bug1 View Post
    Over 5 years ago AMD started releasing docs for their chips, we still dont have an open source driver comparable to their proprietary one, still cant play new release games with open drivers.
    I'm sorry, but that's bullshit. 5 years ago, we didn't have any acceleration on most recent cards, now r700-class hardware is feature complete. r700 and Evergreen match blob performance in many workloads, while being more stable than the blob. We have same-day support for new hardware release (though it's not feature-complete yet).

The road to GL4 is a long one and it requires a lot of work on Mesa infrastructure, something AMD has to do together with Intel and others. It is progressing at the same speed for all hardware.

Leave a comment:

• clavko
    replied
    Originally posted by rvdboom View Post
    Instead of joking about a marketing department talking about Linux, shouldn't we just be pleased that they now actually take the time to talk about their Linux support?
    I used to think that way, but that was a long time ago. I think Linus is leading
    the new path with his "nVidia finger". No, this is not enough anymore. Linux is
    no longer a marginal OS you can safely ignore. We don't have to be grateful
    that some company is now paying attention to linux. Valve got it. Intel got it.
    Google got it. So AMD better get it. Or not, but that's their problem. I think
    that we're way pass the tipping point for any company to ignore linux. If they
    choose to ignore it, and fail, the better. Someone else will gladly fill their shoes.

Leave a comment:

• bug1
    replied
    Give up on AMD

Over 5 years ago AMD started releasing docs for their chips, we still dont have an open source driver comparable to their proprietary one, still cant play new release games with open drivers.

Is it time to accept that as a community we have failed, that complex drivers are somethign we just cant do ?

And seriosuly AMD;s commitment to proprietary drivers whilst lettign a few docs go here and there for open source people makes me feel like its been one big long troll by them.

Intel is the only open source friendly graphics chip maker.

Leave a comment:

• Andrecorreia
    replied
    good good is..

good good is end with fglrx dev and put all resources in open driver like intel do

Leave a comment:

• AJSB
    replied
    Originally posted by przemoli View Post
    Tried r600g/radeonSI?
    Quite honestly, i didn't...i have this bad habit from NVIDIA times where it's the Blob and nothing else...

If i simply compile Kernel 3.14 rc4 i should get automatically Radeon in a relative up to date form, right ? ...or do i need to download and compile some more extra stuff ?!? ...i don't need latest and greatest Git...

Sorry about these Newbie (but not Noob) questions but i didn't cared untill now with OSS video drivers

Leave a comment:

• d2kx
    replied
    Originally posted by d2kx View Post
    The Catalyst 14.2 Beta has just been released for Windows but indeed it doesn't look like there will be a Linux build just yet.
    Correction: AMD Catalyst 14.2 Beta for Linux is imminent. Still the 13.35 branch, so don't expect something major. Should be live within hours.

Leave a comment:

• BSDude
    replied
    Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
    Hehe yeah just make a photo of the 2000+ USD worth of GPUs NVIDIA sent you and attach it to the e-Mail.
    I would tend to think that Michael has done that in the past, at least sent them a sweet-talking email.

Leave a comment:

• sarmad
    replied
    I have an AMD powered laptop and I was thinking that my next laptop will be nVidia powered, but after trying the latest radeon OSS driver I started thinking maybe I should stick to AMD. The radeon driver is not as efficient, but at least it works well and is open source and works with DRI_PRIME and will support Wayland as well. We should also see the bright side of AMD, not just focus on their shortcomings.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X