Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Kabini HD 8210: RadeonSI Gallium3D Can Outperform Catalyst

Phoronix: AMD Kabini HD 8210: RadeonSI Gallium3D Can Outperform Catalyst

With the AMD E1-2100 "Kabini" APU on the ECS KBN-I motherboard sporting Radeon HD 8210 integrated graphics, I decided to benchmark this APU from an Ubuntu 14.04 development release in a few driver configurations with both the open-source Radeon Gallium3D driver and the proprietary Catalyst stack.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

OK it may outperform Catalyst but what about image quality impact?

In my personal experience with Mesa, glitches are everywhere in most games and especially on Steam proprietary games.

For example in my HTPC with RV630, Wargame European Escalation is unplayable due to heavy glitches and flickering.

Last edited by verde; 22 February 2014, 06:04 AM.

Comment

FOSS stuff improving all the time..

oh good, I bought a new laptop recently that uses kabini A4-5000 APU with HD 8330 graphics thing integrated.. Hopefully I will see these gains in graphics performance some year when it finally hits debian testing branch..

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix
        The open-source AMD driver still comes up short with the GpuTest Triangle benchmark
        I still find it funny that Michael includes the triangle benchmark. Why not just put a glxgears test in?

Anyway, DRI3 should vastly improve those scores, for those who care.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
          I still find it funny that Michael includes the triangle benchmark. Why not just put a glxgears test in?

Anyway, DRI3 should vastly improve those scores, for those who care.
          glxgears is a benchmark? Since when ... ?

Comment

Originally posted by Kemosabe View Post
            glxgears is a benchmark? Since when ... ?
            Hence his point of while we're at it lets throw in glx gears (which is definitely not a benchmark).

Comment

So OK, E-2100 play on Linux in games like with Athlon XP 2000+ and Radeon 9200 SE in Windows XP .

Just 10 years later and with 10 times lower power - that is cool .

Comment

Reaction Quake 3 on RadeonSI Gallium3D still has a ways to catch up with the Catalyst driver, but at least there are performance improvements out of the newest Mesa and Linux kernel code.
                Looking at the frame time graph, the blob seems to stutter like mad, so in that sense the FOSS driver is already better.

Comment

It's a same that features like eyefinity are only supported by the binary blobs.

Comment

Originally posted by newwen View Post
                    It's a same that features like eyefinity are only supported by the binary blobs.
                    Well, to be fair, I don't know if Xrandr works well like eyefinity these days.

Comment

Working...
                    X