Can a Radeon HD 2 or 3 series runs TF2?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NothingMuchHereToSay View Post
    Thanks, sorry I should've said I'm extremely low on money ...
    My HD5850 was purchased from ebay for 50$. Just saying.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
      Do you have a GPU in the PC right now, and if so what is it ? Other question, I guess, is AGP or PCIE -- that makes a difference in performance these days because some settings need to be cranked down on AGP to keep them working reliably.
      bridgman probably put that politically correct given he actually represents something. I don't. Avoid buying new AGP hardware at any cost. The bridges themselves are not that seldom buggy crap. Just ask any graphics developer, no one actually likes AGP. The best thing about AGP is that it's dying out.

Comment

Edit time.
        In other words, if you have the choice of buying a graphics card now or saving money and getting a new motherboard with PCIE in three years, I'd just struggle with current setup and go with the latter. It's more likely to actually work without hackery and reducing performance with workarounds.

Comment

Originally posted by nanonyme View Post
          bridgman probably put that politically correct given he actually represents something. I don't. Avoid buying new AGP hardware at any cost. The bridges themselves are not that seldom buggy crap. Just ask any graphics developer, no one actually likes AGP. The best thing about AGP is that it's dying out.
          Nah, I was just trying to be nice. I didn't want to make a blanket "AGP is crap" without first knowing whether the OP's current system was AGP and hence knowing how carefully I had to word the response. Being polite doesn't come naturally, I really have to work at it
          Test signature

Comment

on my old PC, I had a 3850 AGP, no issues. Tried TF2 about half year ago, it worked but too slow, sub 20 fps on 2560x1440.

Comment

Originally posted by xming View Post
              Tried TF2 about half year ago, it worked but too slow, sub 20 fps on 2560x1440.
              Sounds like it might have been playable at a lower res, say 1280x720 or however close you could get ?
              Test signature

Comment

On Windows, of course. On Linux, with a severe performance hit...

My 3870 on windows plays all source games with all their details turned on @1680x1050, minus AA. The fps are quite high...

On Linux, even with lower settings the fps drop often and a lot...

Comment

Useless effort to buy AGP cards, better go to the next recycling depot with a screwdriver and search something from the core 2 area. Or just ask your friends, should not be so hard to get a PCI-E system.

Comment

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post
                    On Windows, of course. On Linux, with a severe performance hit....
                    Sorry, I had assumed xming was talking about performance on Linux... are you saying those were Windows numbers ?

Originally posted by Kano View Post
                    Useless effort to buy AGP cards, better go to the next recycling depot with a screwdriver and search something from the core 2 area. Or just ask your friends, should not be so hard to get a PCI-E system.
                    Yep, but we don't know what the OP already has access to, or if the system is even AGP. That's why I asked.
                    Last edited by bridgman; 18 February 2014, 06:36 AM.
                    Test signature

Comment

My 3650 256 mb - 25.5 fps fullhd settings high, very impressive, hd7790 shows 90 fps
                      OpenBenchmarking.org, Phoronix Test Suite, Linux benchmarking, automated benchmarking, benchmarking results, benchmarking repository, open source benchmarking, benchmarking test profiles

Comment

Working...
                      X