Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD Lands OpenMAX State Tracker In Mesa Gallium3D

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #21
    Originally posted by orzel View Post
    Oh, that's interesting.
    Though... i have never heard of any AMD chip used with android... is there any ? Or maybe it was not used because of this openmax support missing and AMD kinda fill the gap ?
    http://www.android-x86.org/

    Comment


    • #22
      Originally posted by Ericg View Post
      Thanks for the reply, Christian.

      I know VDPAU handles decode and presentation, but does it also have the API to support encoding as well? I've never heard of encoding through VDPAU, but maybe I just missed it somewhere.
      VDPAU doesn't have an encoding API. It's decode only.

      Originally posted by Krejzi View Post
      If I recall correctly, someone from AMD submitted a VA-API state tracker (probably resurected the removed one) for Mesa some time before first version of OpenMax one, but it seems nobody cared enough for it. If Radeon drivers expose UVD through VA-API (or is it the other way arround?) you could use VA-API for encoding.
      That was Christian and those patches only implemented experimental decoding support for va-api. As Christian mentioned previously, va-api is not really a valid API for VCE due to differences in how the hw works. The only way to make it work would be to add a bunch of additional overhead which would defeat the purpose of hw encoding.

      Comment


      • #23
        Originally posted by agd5f View Post
        VDPAU doesn't have an encoding API. It's decode only.
        Could it be extended to support encode? All for supporting OpenMAX, just curious if we could settle on one universal API instead of 2 separate ones
        All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

        Comment


        • #24
          Originally posted by aphirst View Post
          I keep trying to find a comprehensive source for whatever progress the radeon devs have actually made towards this, but other than the handful of mailing list posts back in October, I've not been able to find anything.

          Has anyone been able to actually use this to decode Hi10P content, with some sort of proof (screenshots, etc.)? Something thorough and hard, rather than the vague "someone's trying it out", or "someone reckoned that ultimately it didn't work"?
          +1

          Really really really really interested in this. If it's real, it's the first 10-bit hw decoder. The world needs to know more about this!

          Comment


          • #25
            Originally posted by mrugiero View Post
            Right, I misread the Gov part as being them imposing restrictions signaled to those articles (which I didn't look up for), instead of imposing those to the Gov. Anyway, the restriction is only recognition? If that's so, is pretty much as free for them as whatever license (MIT, right?) mesa uses.
            An interesting aside is that GPLv3 explicitly allows you to add such disclaimers. Though GPLv2 doesn't specify. (Not that it's directly related to this, but I've been reading about this lately and it struck me as an interesting detail.)

            Comment


            • #26
              Originally posted by orzel View Post
              Oh, that's interesting.
              Though... i have never heard of any AMD chip used with android... is there any ? Or maybe it was not used because of this openmax support missing and AMD kinda fill the gap ?
              http://www.amd.com/us/press-releases...2013jan24.aspx
              Test signature

              Comment


              • #27
                Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
                An interesting aside is that GPLv3 explicitly allows you to add such disclaimers. Though GPLv2 doesn't specify. (Not that it's directly related to this, but I've been reading about this lately and it struck me as an interesting detail.)
                Doesn't the inclusion of the copyright notice count as a recognition? If that's so, I don't recall about MIT, but both GPL and BSD licenses explicitly ask for this.

                Comment


                • #28
                  Originally posted by mrugiero View Post
                  Doesn't the inclusion of the copyright notice count as a recognition? If that's so, I don't recall about MIT, but both GPL and BSD licenses explicitly ask for this.
                  I'm talking about adding jurisdiction-specific disclaimers (GPLv3 section 7(a)).

                  Comment


                  • #29
                    Hello , I am very concerned about how we could use it, especially for hi10p.

                    Comment


                    • #30
                      Any chance to get hi10p vdpau support in the future?
                      ## VGA ##
                      AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
                      Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X