No announcement yet.

AMD Open-Sources VCE Video Encode Engine Code

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And this is why I stay with AMD for all my own computers. Yes, i would LOVE to have full OpenGL 4.4 support and super duper optimized code, but hey, at least AMD is moving in the right direction. Also doing so in an steadily increasing speed!

Comment

Originally posted by Redi44 View Post
      I'm glad that I chose the AMD HW in my two recent builds over the Intel HW
      Intel have supported video encoding via VA-API,
      for a long time now. Just for your information.

Comment

Originally posted by Drago View Post
        Yeah, I'm a little confused with people talking about AMD like they're the first to do it.

Comment

Good for AMD, another year maybe GCN opensource driver stay on more mature state

Respect VCE code is very good, for example if simplescreen recorder support this, linux screencasting users appreciate that

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post
            You can use VCE to encode to your own h.264/mpeg videos or in combination with UVD to transcode videos.
            Christian, could you elaborate a little abou the flexibility of these blocks (UVD and VCE)? For example, is VCE only usefull for H.264? Could it be eventually used for other codecs, even if only partially?

What about true audio? Is there any plant to support it on the open driver?

Comment

Heh, that was so unexpected that there is not even an entry in http://wiki.x.org/wiki/RadeonFeature/ for Video Encode with VCE
              Originally posted by Figueiredo View Post
              Christian, could you elaborate a little abou the flexibility of these blocks (UVD and VCE)? For example, is VCE only usefull for H.264? Could it be eventually used for other codecs, even if only partially?
              Looks like it supports only H.264 output from page 10 of AMD's UVD3 whitepaper: http://www.amd.com/us/Documents/UVD3_whitepaper.pdf
              Last edited by chithanh; 04 February 2014, 01:31 PM.

Comment

I know. My post wasn't only about this but rather about the quite nice support AMD gives us lately...

Comment

What software supports encoding via vaapi? I didn't find any so far...

Comment

@AMD staff

Some years ago Bridgman said the development department is looking to disentangle
                    the decoding units from the DRM blocks in order to make it easier (read less dangerous)
                    to release programming documentation.

Do current ASICs already profit from that "decision" or is this still in the pipeline (or even not pursued anymore)?

Comment

Originally posted by entropy View Post
                      @AMD staff

Some years ago Bridgman said the development department is looking to disentangle
                      the decoding units from the DRM blocks in order to make it easier (read less dangerous)
                      to release programming documentation.

Do current ASICs already profit from that "decision" or is this still in the pipeline (or even not pursued anymore)?
                      We are already taking advantage of it.

Comment

Working...
                      X