Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R600g Geometry Shaders Come For R600/R700

Phoronix: R600g Geometry Shaders Come For R600/R700

Yesterday I wrote about Geometry Shaders support proposed for the R600 Gallium3D driver, a major OpenGL 3.2 feature and is needed for getting the R600g driver up to par with RadeonSI and the other Mesa/Gallium3D drivers either at or nearing OpenGL 3.3 compliance. Some Phoronix readers expressed outrage that this initial GS support was limited to the Radeon HD 5000 series and newer, but now there's an early patch to provide geometry shaders to older AMD hardware...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Don't have that hardware but happy to see support.

Comment

[Troll mode on]
      OMG noes! The R100 does not receive this love. Neither does the ATI Mach 64! Such a shame! AMD is not making customers happy.
      Now they will never reach OpenGL 3.3 compatibility! [/Troll mode off]

Oh, wait...

Really nice to see these patches. See, in the free driver world it is just a matter of time for some things to come. And sometimes it is just a few days. And sometimes the reason is just that upstream does not have that very hardware and doesn't want to write a blind update without the possibility to test. (Furthermore in these cases the documentation from AMD is there so everybody capable of driver hacking could write that code.
      Thanks AMD, thanks free driver team. I still have some of that hardware floating around (I guess I always have all sorts of old hardware around ) - but then, I am not sure if I really want my old HD3870 110W TDP (about 30 W idle?) passively cooled monster (Sapphire Ultimate) back in my main box.
      Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix
        also one Linux kernel patch. On the kernel side that likely won't emerge until Linux 3.15.
        The kernel support should go into 3.14, michael. The merge window is still open, and this could easily hit rc2 or rc3 without rejection i'd think.

Comment

Does anybody knows, will there be support for geometry shaders on Sandy Bridge?

Comment

good question!

Originally posted by leonmaxx View Post
            i m waiting for it to

Comment

Originally posted by leonmaxx View Post
              Unless someone from the community implements it, likely not. Paul Berry, the Intel dev who worked on GS for Ivy and Haswell, is already working on other stuff.

Here's his message on what needs to be done to bring GS to Sandy: http://lists.freedesktop.org/archive...er/046150.html

Comment

okey, never comes

Originally posted by Gusar View Post
                Unless someone from the community implements it, likely not. Paul Berry, the Intel dev who worked on GS for Ivy and Haswell, is already working on other stuff.

Here's his message on what needs to be done to bring GS to Sandy: http://lists.freedesktop.org/archive...er/046150.html
                okey, never comes, is really sad for intel don t spend a month to finish the maximium opengl api for sandy, but ok. nvidia is the best in this things

Comment

Originally posted by Andrecorreia View Post
                  okey, never comes, is really sad for intel don t spend a month to finish the maximium opengl api for sandy, but ok. nvidia is the best in this things
                  What happened to the "just give us documentation and we'll write the drivers" meme?

Comment

Originally posted by Gusar View Post
                    What happened to the "just give us documentation and we'll write the drivers" meme?
                    This article is about exactly that, AMD provided documentation, David provided driver. Not sure what you want to prove. For SB, let's see, maybe somebody is up for the challenge.

Comment

Working...
                    X