R600g Geometry Shaders Come For R600/R700

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gusar View Post
    What happened to the "just give us documentation and we'll write the drivers" meme?
    it's still valid and your sarcasm is unwarranted.

better question is if there is anyone out there with both interest AND knowledge to use it to create that feature out of the people currently involved with the project. oss drivers in large portion are made by volunteers and you can't expect someone will hack for no reason whatsoever if they gain 0 from the work.

getting group of people who need it and trying to see what you can do with resources available would be most prudent action. and since that feature fits perfectly in mesa/galium plans i seriously doubt there would be some ideological problems like inclusion of direct3d tracker in wine

Comment

Originally posted by Andrecorreia View Post
      okey, never comes, is really sad for intel don t spend a month to finish the maximium opengl api for sandy, but ok. nvidia is the best in this things
      Yes, Nvidia's contributions to Mesa and kernel DRM are so massive and we are all much better off because of them.

Comment

Originally posted by Del_ View Post
        This article is about exactly that, AMD provided documentation, David provided driver.
        Yes, but the forum thread has a derailment, and that's what I was participating in.

Not sure what you want to prove.
        What makes you think I want to prove something? It was a jab on Andrecorreia's flat out dismissal of SB ever having geometry shaders.

For SB, let's see, maybe somebody is up for the challenge.
        Would be nice. Would also be nice if someone remembered Ironlake also exists (the last person who worked on Ironlake is now working on newer stuff too).

Originally posted by justmy2cents View Post
        it's still valid and your sarcasm is unwarranted.
        As mentioned above, my sarcasm wasn't directed at the meme itself, but at Andrecorreia.

Comment

As mentioned above, my sarcasm wasn't directed at the meme itself, but at Andrecorreia.
          just my 2 cents. most users (me included) are not even capable following the documentation on gpu-s, way off to implement it. based on this, i doubt ppl like me would ever claim that "meme". and since the only ppl that actually used it were developers who can actually use it and are working on the projects your remark only makes up for one really badly aimed pun since there is no point is asking "what happened with..." if person in question never asked that

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
            Some Phoronix readers expressed outrage...
            Lol. It was one guy. Tomorrow's headline:

"A considerable amount of Phoronix readers felt insulted by the lack of OpenGL 3.3 on the Mach64!"

Comment

Originally posted by justmy2cents View Post
              and since the only ppl that actually used it were developers who can actually use it
              I seriously, seriously doubt those are the only people who used it. People were saying it as if community devs would magically appear once docs were released. And my pun was about how this mentality has changed - people used to believe in the magic of docs, now they (well, at least Andrecorreia) seem to think that all hope is completely lost once company employees move on. The mentality shifted from overly optimistic to overly pessimistic, that is what I found interesting.

Comment

What happened to the "just give us documentation and we'll write the drivers" meme?
                It turned into "just give us documentation and Red Hat will write the drivers".

Great work David.

Comment

To be fair, if you wanted to install Linux on your computer then you'd want your hardware working. As old as the HD 2000/3000/4000 are, they were sold for a long time. In fact on NewEgg the HD2000's and 3000's are still sold, between $50 to $120, which is insane. My laptop was sold with onboard graphics built into the northbridge chip as a HD4200, and that was 2011. It also came with a discrete HD 5470.

Just cause these chips were made in 2006/2007, doesn't mean that's when people bought them. AMD as well as Nvidia should do a better job of emptying their inventory on shelves, rather then confusing customers about support. For whatever reason I still see Nvidia Geforce FX 5200 on shelves. Maybe it's because they're stuck at $50 for a graphics card that wasn't worth a damn even when it was new.

But I don't blame the open source guys for not wanting to waste their time with old hardware, but truth is when people get into Linux they test it out on old hardware first. If you own a fairly new video card then AMD or Nvidia is going to make drivers for it, you'll most likely use those over open source. Anything that's deemed "Legacy" will get nothing, and therefore you're entirely reliant on open source.

I'd love the day that when I buy a Radeon Z9001, that the open source drivers are already working and capable of getting the most out of my hardware, but we all know that's not going to happen. You own a new graphics then you'll use whatever AMD or Nvidia gives you for drivers, cause they work better and faster in most cases. Just saying.

Comment

Various Documentations Missing

In the case of video drivers, implementation isn't simple. I cannot understand some of the documentation after gazing at it for a few hours because I don't have the experience in that field. However, the lack of documentation can be applied to other areas. Various gamepads and USB devices are reverse-engineered with no documentation what so ever.

For instance, all Xbox controllers and Playstation controllers are reverse engineered completely. Xbox 360 controllers can't be completely supported as there are still mysteries about the XInput driver that hasn't been revealed and proves troublesome to find out without insight knowledge or an unlimited supply of devices. Still, Xbox/360 controllers are managed by forgetting the idea of HID and sending it raw USB packets that has been discovered, which isn't ideal.

Intel open graphics were still relatively raw a few years ago. It's miraculous that people are complaining about missing implementation at this point in time when they've moved so fast already without having some serious issues.

I find it ridiculous that even sarcasm was brought up around the idea that if documentation is provided, a driver will be built. Not only is a driver built, to the point of ridiculous feature for the the price and people that work on it, it often doesn't even have the asked-for documentation. Corporations aren't so nice as to let us build a driver for them.

Comment

Came here to read about improved support for older ATi GPUs, instead there was Sandy Bridge...

Comment

Working...
                      X