No announcement yet.

R600g AMD Evergreen Geometry Shaders Proposed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

just sent the r600/r700 support first pass.

also in the same branch in my repo.

Comment

perefect job dave

first of all i would like to thank you for your great job

also i have a question is it possible for you to enable it for rs880 gpu or it needs a change in a kernel?

best regard
      Last edited by amirsdream; 30 January 2014, 10:57 PM.

Comment

I have no idea what Dave is doing as I am a complete n00b, but he has my gratitude regardless. Thank you for making the open source AMD drivers better.

Comment

Originally posted by justmy2cents View Post
          in translation... to AMD you're not a customer, you're a cost. your comment basically self excludes you from that fact. you stick with old card and don't want to buy new one. and if old one is not supported, you'll switch vendor. wth bother then? you won't buy it in any case
          If you wanna keep customers, then doing what you can to make them happy would go a long way. Even if that means they're very very old customers. I don't own a HD 2000 or 3000 graphics card, but if I did I would be pissed. Also, at some point I WILL buy a new graphics card, and I WILL have to make a choice. It's a good idea to make any customer happy, as reasonably possible.

Comment

Originally posted by Dukenukemx View Post
            If you wanna keep customers, then doing what you can to make them happy would go a long way. Even if that means they're very very old customers. I don't own a HD 2000 or 3000 graphics card, but if I did I would be pissed. Also, at some point I WILL buy a new graphics card, and I WILL have to make a choice. It's a good idea to make any customer happy, as reasonably possible.
            The key there is "reasonable". There are some things everyone would agree aren't reasonable. You don't expect AMD to send out an expert to your home to look at a problematic card and hand deliver a replacement, even though that would undoubtedly make their customers happy.

The bottom line is that AMD has a ton of marketing and business people who work for it, whose jobs it is to decide what is reasonable and what isn't. If they think they can make more money by not doing something, that's what the company is going to do. If they think they'll make more money by doing something instead, that's what is going to happen.

You guys can sit around and complain on the internet all day long, and it's not going to make a single cents worth of difference in their cost/benefit analysis.

My advice is to get used to the idea, and if you don't like it then go buy a competitors card next time. That's what will really make them take notice, when you start impacting their bottom line. Whining won't even register. Especially when you're whining about what a 3rd party dev completely unaffiliated with AMD did in his spare time.
            Last edited by smitty3268; 31 January 2014, 02:26 AM.

Comment

BTW, 4000-series hardware isn't 4 years old like a troll has been stating, it's almost 6 years old. It was released an entire year before Windows 7 even came out, and who can even remember Vista at all? Ubuntu's version was 8.04! Debian's stable release was ETCH!! A LOT has changed since pre-5000-series GPUs.

Rather than complain about things, if you think it's so simple go write the code for what you want done, after all it's an open-source project.

Comment

As much as people complain, I'm actually excited about things. In the last 6 years, the Radeon drivers went from total crap to decent. In another 6 years, we might very well have same day feature parody with the proprietary driver, especially if Linux usage share continues to rise the way it has been. Performance will likely be another matter, but if they're not having to play catch up constantly, more time could be devoted to things like performance.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
                  You guys can sit around and complain on the internet all day long, and it's not going to make a single cents worth of difference in their cost/benefit analysis.

My advice is to get used to the idea, and if you don't like it then go buy a competitors card next time. That's what will really make them take notice, when you start impacting their bottom line. Whining won't even register. Especially when you're whining about what a 3rd party dev completely unaffiliated with AMD did in his spare time.
                  Remember the shitstorm that went through the net when AMD announced that they deprecate pre-HD-5000 cards. Only a few days later they suddenly decided to release a legacy driver, even if this was only to calm down people (we all know that the legacy driver is a pile of crap). So, yes, complaining on the Internet actually can have an impact to those people (though, as you mention, this is not one of those cases, since these patches are not even related to anyone from AMD).
                  Not to mention that IMHO the people in AMD's marketing department are morons that have made one shitty decision after the other in the last few years.

Comment

Originally posted by Vim_User View Post
                    Remember the shitstorm that went through the net when AMD announced that they deprecate pre-HD-5000 cards. Only a few days later they suddenly decided to release a legacy driver, even if this was only to calm down people (we all know that the legacy driver is a pile of crap). So, yes, complaining on the Internet actually can have an impact to those people
                    You're making the mistaken assumption that AMD wasn't going to release that legacy driver all along. Neither of us know anything for sure, but it seems 99.999% likely it was always going to happen, and there's not a shred of evidence the whining did anything.

Not to mention that IMHO the people in AMD's marketing department are morons that have made one shitty decision after the other in the last few years.
                    But my whole point is that it's their decision. If it's shitty, they'll go bankrupt. If not, they won't. Either way, they've already made it.

I agree they are basically idiots, by the way. I just get annoyed with all the meaningless complaints going on. It gets old, fast. And a lot of people on here are idiots too, even bigger idiots than AMD.
                    Last edited by smitty3268; 31 January 2014, 04:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Prescience500 View Post
                      In another 6 years, we might very well have same day feature parody with the proprietary driver,
                      Glory to unintended typos! That's exactly what I would call the current situation, a feature parody: blob has features but they don't work.

Comment

Working...
                      X