AMD Kaveri's Open Radeon Performance Now Multiple Times Faster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Слободан View Post
    I have established that one memory module is "faulty". It will not work on 2400 MHz while other would.
    The problem is that I can not change the voltage or latecy or practicly anything. It does not give me any options when I click "Enter" on it. It is a BIOS bug, that I would like to be cofirmed by someone that own this board.
    I can only guess youre not allowed to edit the OC profile. Perhaps there is a Manual option. Then you'll have to set RAM frequency manually

Comment

Originally posted by Слободан View Post

Firts, CPU is at 100% load in BIOS (version F4 and F5). It reaches higher temperatures than in OS during gaming.
      Could be the CPU is power managed in the OS, where the bios doesn't.
      Second, when I enable X.M.P. 2400 (I have 2x4 GB Kingstone HyperX Beast 2400 MHz CL11 RAM), OS won't boot. It only works with X.M.P. 1600 and 2133. I saw in other test that you also have (or had, at least) the same RAM.
      Gigabyte motherboards are known to be picky with ram settings. You don't need XMP to get it to run at that speed. If it's suppose to run at 2400 Mhz with 9 9 9 9 11 settings, then manually set it. The memory timings have to be exactly as the ram maker says it, or the Gigabyte board will complain and resort to default.
      And, third, the worst one, is that I can not change any values in BIOS (like 2/3). For example, I can not change latency for RAM. I have set it to "Manual" or "Advance manual" instead of "Auto", and those values turn blue (from gray) so I should be able to change them now, but when I press "Enter" nothing hapens (no options apear, no drop-down menu, nothing). And that is the issue with like 2/3 of BIOS setttings/values.
      I believe you need to use the + - keys where the keypad is to change values.
      I have tried F4 and F5. They are the same. I have also adressed this issues to Gigabyte, but still no reply. I haven't been able to find anyone that owns the same motherboard to ask them to verify this.

I would really appreciate your help.
      It's your first time dealing with motherboard bios? A lot of these motherboard BIOS's have terrible conveyance, but the terminology is universal.

Comment

Originally posted by Spittie View Post
        Let's compare Catalyst:

Unigine Tropics (1280x1024)
        RadeonSI: 22.57fps
        Catalyst: 24.06fps

That's what I call impressive
        Good job AMD!
        I have 37 FPS in Unigine Tropics (default settings + 1280x1024) on A10-7850K + FGLRX (2400MHz RAM in Dual Channel), anyway RadeonSI results looks really nice!

Comment

Originally posted by nadro View Post
          I have 37 FPS in Unigine Tropics (default settings + 1280x1024) on A10-7850K + FGLRX (2400MHz RAM in Dual Channel), anyway RadeonSI results looks really nice!
          WoW! Not bad at all. I'd consider one of these chips once OpenCL is supported by open source drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by GraysonPeddie View Post
            Well then perhaps I'd like to see a difference between AMD A10-5800K and AMD A10-7850K with the DPM and color tiling turned on just to see what it's like.

And besides, I don't think there are any discrete CPUs that are available with FM2 and FM2+ sockets.

I'll be waiting for AMD Carrizo APU which will debut next year as I'm currently holding on to AMD A10-5700. Right now, Kaveri does bring in some good gaming performance which I like. I do play Portal using my Linux 3.13 kernel and Mesa 10 and I get about 60 FPS and it does go down to 30 sometimes. My resolution is 1920x1080. All the graphics settings are set to high with no AA in my 47" TV.

And by the way, how do I know if color tiling is on? I don't have xorg.conf in /etc/X11.
            The Athlon line on fm2 is just discrete cpus without a gpu component.

You don't want to make an xorg.conf if there isn't one - modern mesa does an autogen using the contents of xorg.conf.d, just go in there and make a file called 99-radeon.conf with these contents:

Code:
            Section "Device"
                Driver "radeon"
                Option "ColorTiling" "on"
                Option "ColorTiling2D" "on" 
            EndSection

Comment

Originally posted by GraysonPeddie View Post
              And by the way, how do I know if color tiling is on? I don't have xorg.conf in /etc/X11.
              If I recall right, the Xorg.log (/var/log/Xorg.0.log on Ubuntu) should specify whether Color Tiling is on or off (just search for "tiling"). If you have multiple GPUs, it should mention tiling for each GPU.

Comment

Originally posted by Tgui View Post
                WoW! Not bad at all. I'd consider one of these chips once OpenCL is supported by open source drivers.
                They have some support.

Comment

Originally posted by Dukenukemx View Post
                  I believe you need to use the + - keys where the keypad is to change values.
                  Unbelievable... Thanks, now I know that there is no bug in the BIOS. I also had to apologise to the Gigabyte support people for reporting a nonexistent bug.

Comment

Originally posted by zanny View Post
                    You don't want to make an xorg.conf if there isn't one - modern mesa does an autogen using the contents of xorg.conf.d, just go in there and make a file called 99-radeon.conf with these contents:

Code:
                    Section "Device"
                        Driver "radeon"
                        Option "ColorTiling" "on"
                        Option "ColorTiling2D" "on" 
                    EndSection
                    Nice tip!

Comment

Originally posted by zanny View Post
                      You're not even waiting for a major die shrink? The power usage of the high end Kaveri parts are on par with Trinity still, and if you want more performance why not just build a rig with a discrete cpu + gpu? The only real perk of Kaveri is significant theoretical gpu performance over its predecessors, but radeonSI hinders that a bit still (the recent charts put a 270x on par with a 6950 when it should be running upwards of 30 - 50% faster in terms of raw hardware). But then why not just stick a 260x in your Trinity machine?
                      Because I have a mini-itx rig for my main desktop, and don't plan to buy a discreet GPU any time soon. It's mostly a space issue. I've got my eye on a new fm2+ motherboard anyway that has some nice features, but I'm waiting to get an APU+MB combo at the same time. I'll do that once the performance is better than what I have.

Comment

Working...
                      X