No announcement yet.

AMD Kaveri's Open Radeon Performance Now Multiple Times Faster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow, that performance is much better than I expected! I just assumed that the previous FLOSS Kaveri tests had dpm enabled, but I'm glad that I was mistaken. I plan to upgrade my a10-5800k as soon as Kaveri outperforms it, and I guess I won't have long to wait after all.

Comment

Originally posted by Drago View Post
      Michael, there is no Doom3 graph in the article.
      Ah I wasn't the only one. It says Doom 3 for the open arena graph.

Glad to see such high fps for kaveri. I ordered a 7700k and can't wait to try it out

Comment

I plan to upgrade my a10-5800k as soon as Kaveri outperforms it
        You're not even waiting for a major die shrink? The power usage of the high end Kaveri parts are on par with Trinity still, and if you want more performance why not just build a rig with a discrete cpu + gpu? The only real perk of Kaveri is significant theoretical gpu performance over its predecessors, but radeonSI hinders that a bit still (the recent charts put a 270x on par with a 6950 when it should be running upwards of 30 - 50% faster in terms of raw hardware). But then why not just stick a 260x in your Trinity machine?

Comment

Well then perhaps I'd like to see a difference between AMD A10-5800K and AMD A10-7850K with the DPM and color tiling turned on just to see what it's like.

And besides, I don't think there are any discrete CPUs that are available with FM2 and FM2+ sockets.

I'll be waiting for AMD Carrizo APU which will debut next year as I'm currently holding on to AMD A10-5700. Right now, Kaveri does bring in some good gaming performance which I like. I do play Portal using my Linux 3.13 kernel and Mesa 10 and I get about 60 FPS and it does go down to 30 sometimes. My resolution is 1920x1080. All the graphics settings are set to high with no AA in my 47" TV.

And by the way, how do I know if color tiling is on? I don't have xorg.conf in /etc/X11.

Comment

Originally posted by Kemosabe View Post
            I don't own your board but as general rule: Raise your RAM voltage and if it does not help you could try rasing north bridge voltage, too.
            I have established that one memory module is "faulty". It will not work on 2400 MHz while other would.
            The problem is that I can not change the voltage or latecy or practicly anything. It does not give me any options when I click "Enter" on it. It is a BIOS bug, that I would like to be cofirmed by someone that own this board.

P.S. Sorry for the offtopic.

Comment

Let's compare Catalyst:

OpenArena 0.8.5
              RadeonSI: 129.93fps
              Catalyst: 132.37fps

OpenArena 0.8.8:
              RadeonSI: 36.10fps
              Catalyst: 29fps

Unigine Sanctuary (1280x1024):
              RadeonSI: 34.51fps
              Catalyst: 32.88fps

Unigine Tropics (1280x1024)
              RadeonSI: 22.57fps
              Catalyst: 24.06fps

Xonotic (low):
              RadeonSI: 139.58fps
              Catalyst: 162.75fps

Xonotic (high):
              RadeonSI: 69.67fps
              Catalyst: 63.58fps

GPUTest Plot3d:
              RadeonSI: 8272 points
              Catalyst: 10471 points

GPUTest Furmark:
              RadeonSI: 571 points
              Catalyst: 329 points

That's what I call impressive
              Good job AMD!

Comment

[QUOTE=Слободан;392754]I see that you have (in this test) the same motherboard that I have (Gigabyte F2A88XM-D3H). I am having a lot of difficulties with this motherboard's BIOS.
                Can you, please, try some things to confirm those issues for me?

Issues are:

Firts, CPU is at 100% load in BIOS (version F4 and F5). It reaches higher temperatures than in OS during gaming.[quote]
                This isn't really uncommon - many CPUs are, for whatever reason, under some form of constant load when in the BIOS.

Second, when I enable X.M.P. 2400 (I have 2x4 GB Kingstone HyperX Beast 2400 MHz CL11 RAM), OS won't boot. It only works with X.M.P. 1600 and 2133. I saw in other test that you also have (or had, at least) the same RAM.
                Does this motherboard tell you your voltages? If the RAM voltage is either lower than you specified, or just simply too low in general, it might not work.

And, third, the worst one, is that I can not change any values in BIOS (like 2/3). For example, I can not change latency for RAM. I have set it to "Manual" or "Advance manual" instead of "Auto", and those values turn blue (from gray) so I should be able to change them now, but when I press "Enter" nothing hapens (no options apear, no drop-down menu, nothing). And that is the issue with like 2/3 of BIOS setttings/values.
                I don't know exactly what XMP is, but I'm assuming that it overrides your other RAM options. It wouldn't surprise me if it prevents you from changing your FSB too.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                  I don't know exactly what XMP is, but I'm assuming that it overrides your other RAM options. It wouldn't surprise me if it prevents you from changing your FSB too.
                  XMP stands for Xtreme Memory Profile. It makes it easier to use non-officially-supported RAM (high frequency, low voltage, high voltage...).

Comment

Originally posted by Spittie View Post
                    Let's compare Catalyst:
                    That's what I call impressive
                    Good job AMD!
                    Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                      XMP (Intel) and AMP (AMD) are extensions to the data tables stored in the SPD EEPROM on the memory modules, containing a couple of extra sets of memory timings which can be read by the BIOS and which (IIRC) cover operation at higher-than-standard voltages.
                      Test signature

Comment

Working...
                      X