Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Kaveri's Open Radeon Performance Now Multiple Times Faster

Phoronix: AMD Kaveri's Open Radeon Performance Now Multiple Times Faster

Earlier this month I shared some basic OpenGL benchmarks between AMD's Kaveri APU on the Catalyst driver and the open-source RadeonSI Gallium3D driver. Now that more time has passed I'm back with another round of Linux graphics driver testing on the AMD A10-7850K, this time looking at the impact when forcing Dynamic Power Management and toggling color tiling for maximum performance.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It's interesting to see color tiling make such a big difference in a lot of those tests. I hadn't realized it was that important.

It's too bad they have to just wait until most people are using new versions of everything before they can turn it on. Isn't there a way to check versioning and default it to ON if all the right software is present, and OFF if someone has an old libdrm or kernel? Or whatever is holding it back?

Comment

So um, does this color tiling work on other GPUS, and how does one enable it?

Comment

Originally posted by Dukenukemx View Post
        So um, does this color tiling work on other GPUS, and how does one enable it?
        it's an xorg.conf setting. It's enabled by default for quite a while on most gpus.

Option "ColorTiling" "on"
        Option "ColorTiling2D" "on"
        Last edited by smitty3268; 28 January 2014, 02:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
          Phoronix: AMD Kaveri's Open Radeon Performance Now Multiple Times Faster

Earlier this month I shared some basic OpenGL benchmarks between AMD's Kaveri APU on the Catalyst driver and the open-source RadeonSI Gallium3D driver. Now that more time has passed I'm back with another round of Linux graphics driver testing on the AMD A10-7850K, this time looking at the impact when forcing Dynamic Power Management and toggling color tiling for maximum performance.

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=19776
          I see that you have (in this test) the same motherboard that I have (Gigabyte F2A88XM-D3H). I am having a lot of difficulties with this motherboard's BIOS.
          Can you, please, try some things to confirm those issues for me?

Issues are:

Firts, CPU is at 100% load in BIOS (version F4 and F5). It reaches higher temperatures than in OS during gaming.

Second, when I enable X.M.P. 2400 (I have 2x4 GB Kingstone HyperX Beast 2400 MHz CL11 RAM), OS won't boot. It only works with X.M.P. 1600 and 2133. I saw in other test that you also have (or had, at least) the same RAM.

And, third, the worst one, is that I can not change any values in BIOS (like 2/3). For example, I can not change latency for RAM. I have set it to "Manual" or "Advance manual" instead of "Auto", and those values turn blue (from gray) so I should be able to change them now, but when I press "Enter" nothing hapens (no options apear, no drop-down menu, nothing). And that is the issue with like 2/3 of BIOS setttings/values.

I have tried F4 and F5. They are the same. I have also adressed this issues to Gigabyte, but still no reply. I haven't been able to find anyone that owns the same motherboard to ask them to verify this.

I would really appreciate your help.
          Last edited by Slobodan; 28 January 2014, 03:44 AM.

Comment

Hi,

I didn't check Kaveri on open source drivers yet, but with Catalyst 13.300 it works fine (I patched drivers and it works with 3.13). I have Asrock FM2A88M Extreme4+ (with the latest v2.0 UEFI) with Kingston 2400MHz and all works fine (memory works in dual channel mode at 2400MHz via XMP profile). I use Ubuntu 14.04 x64. Today I'll try to install PTS and submit some test results, anyway just in 1280x1024.

Cheers,

Comment

Originally posted by Слободан View Post
              Second, when I enable X.M.P. 2400 (I have 2x4 GB Kingstone HyperX Beast 2400 MHz CL11 RAM), OS won't boot. It only works with X.M.P. 1600 and 2133. I saw in other test that you also have (or had, at least) the same RAM.
              I don't own your board but as general rule: Raise your RAM voltage and if it does not help you could try rasing north bridge voltage, too.

Comment

Michael, there is no Doom3 graph in the article.

Comment

"Firts, CPU is at 100% load in BIOS (version F4 and F5). It reaches higher temperatures than in OS during gaming."

AFAIK, this is normal in all AMD APUs from families Trinity, Richland and Kavery.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
                    It's interesting to see color tiling make such a big difference in a lot of those tests. I hadn't realized it was that important.
                    It should be especially important for APUs because they deal with much slower memory access than discrete GPUs, so reducing memory transfers is valuable.

Comment

Working...
                    X