AMD Radeon Gallium3D Catches Up To Catalyst For Some Linux Games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

just tried these with the latest kernal

performance is miles ahead of catalyst on l4d2 ! really smooth no mouse lag !! (which is still present on the catalyst after a year)

awesome.

using A10 trinity APU.

Comment

Originally posted by Kivada View Post
      It's a Quake/Unreal Tournament clone, which got old fast when they where new.
      You sir just gained an enemy for life! How dare you?? Quake/UT got old fast?

Comment

Not bad, it's around 80% of Catalyst speed in non-pixel-pusher benchmarks. Which is actually not that far from the radeonsi results, which is pretty amazing for radeonsi (although admittedly they had r600g, Gallium3D and Mesa to build upon).

Comment

Also, I've never created another account, Larabel is just too lazy to run the tests for games people actually play so that the people that are actually buying the hardware have a good idea of how it performs in real world scenarios.
          Yeah, it is poor under-worked Larabel's fault that the games you like are a bitch to work with. Blame him.

Comment

Originally posted by devius View Post
            You sir just gained an enemy for life! How dare you?? Quake/UT got old fast?
            Yep, games I got maybe a week or 2 out of before I got so bored with them I never played them again. And I'm talking got them within the month that they where released.

Comment

Originally posted by Hamish Wilson View Post
              Yeah, it is poor under-worked Larabel's fault that the games you like are a bitch to work with. Blame him.
              Yeas, so overworked he never had the time to find at least 5 links to previous Phoronix articles with no link back to the actual source for his post so that he could have a perpetually branching link back to the beginning of Phoronix itself...

Also, every Mac and Windows review site has never had a problem with running those same games.

Though you'd know that if you bothered to take your head out of Larabel's lower intestine.

Comment

Yeas, so overworked he never had the time to find at least 5 links to previous Phoronix articles with no link back to the actual source for his post so that he could have a perpetually branching link back to the beginning of Phoronix itself...

Also, every Mac and Windows review site has never had a problem with running those same games.

Though you'd know that if you bothered to take your head out of Larabel's lower intestine.
                Again, it's an entirely different situation... Windows and OS X sites more well staffed... Much more lucrative ad market, etc. Those that try for very fine quality to Linux articles just end up going bust; i.e. H-Online, the original Linux.com, NewsForge, etc etc.
                Michael Larabel
                https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by phill1978 View Post
                  just tried these with the latest kernal

performance is miles ahead of catalyst on l4d2 ! really smooth no mouse lag !! (which is still present on the catalyst after a year)

awesome.

using A10 trinity APU.
                  I saw this as well on the same hardware. All is not peachy though. I get serious artifacting in Dota 2 with Gallium (e.g. when a tower is destroyed for some reason). It's playable but there's a pretty big bug somewhere.

Comment

The day someone doesn't make an uneducated complaint on a phoronix GPU article will be the day Microsoft will open source Windows.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                      Again, it's an entirely different situation... Windows and OS X sites more well staffed... Much more lucrative ad market, etc. Those that try for very fine quality to Linux articles just end up going bust; i.e. H-Online, the original Linux.com, NewsForge, etc etc.
                      There could be a middle ground, though... I'd be interested in just and occasional list of subjective "does it work/is it playable" tick/crosses on game with the OpenSource drivers. Like http://xorg.freedesktop.org/wiki/RadeonProgram/ but from someone I can trust a bit I don't really care about the framerates to three decimal places.

Then whenever a game stopped working, we can flame Alex and Bridgman in the forums for a couple of weeks...

Comment

Working...
                      X