The Linux 3.13 Kernel Is A Must-Have For AMD RadeonSI Users

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sasy360 View Post
    I didn't pay for some glued, genereic 2d driver BS. Definitely no more AMD graphics for me.
    Welcome to the modern Linux worlds problems - so you don't want AMD's foss driver, so your choices are Intel (where the best you can get is Iris Pro in select products) or Nvidia (who don't support foss drivers at all). So if you want a beefy gaming card with a side of freedom, you have to go with AMD. Even though that freedom still has binary firmware blobs for the init parts.

Comment

This guy on Reddit is getting 60+ frames per second with DOTA2 at maximum settings using radeonsi, kernel 3.13, and a HD 7770. I am so upgrading to AMD for open source goodness.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
        Modern desktops running in OpenGL mode don't really even touch GLAMOR anyway. Glamor accelerates XRender, 2d acceleration code.

That can show up in certain apps, but not usually the desktop shell itself anymore.
        Huh? Then why is it benchmarked here so often? In which use cases is it really used if one uses say KDE, GNOME3, XFCE or Unity with compositing turned on?
        Are you saying it is only used for things like LXDE / compositing turned of?

Then it would be barely of interest for anyone using a > mid range Graphics Card, cause all those have enough power to turn compositing on....

Comment

Originally posted by sasy360 View Post
          2D performace is very important even these days.
          Where? Please emphasize!

Comment

Originally posted by tomtomme View Post
            Where? Please emphasize!
            Basically anything that uses Cairo, including GTK+, Mozilla, WebKit, Poppler, Gnuplot, Inkscape...

Chris Wilson didn't waste his time without a reason.

Comment

Originally posted by FourDMusic View Post
              Basically anything that uses Cairo, including GTK+, Mozilla, WebKit, Poppler, Gnuplot, Inkscape...

Chris Wilson didn't waste his time without a reason.
              Thanks!
              So when I browse the internet, a new page would be drawn faster or when I paint in gimp / load a picture or load a pdf - all those stuff would be drawn and scrolled faster? interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by FutureSuture View Post
                This guy on Reddit is getting 60+ frames per second with DOTA2 at maximum settings using radeonsi, kernel 3.13, and a HD 7770. I am so upgrading to AMD for open source goodness.
                I got 50-60 FPS on a 7850 with a 3.13 daily and oibaf's PPA on Ubuntu 13.10; fglrx seems to have a slightly higher average framerate though, but essentially, Dota 2 is fine with either driver.

Comment

Huh? Then why is it benchmarked here so often?
                  Michael benches a lot of stuff here that is of very questionable use.

In which use cases is it really used if one uses say KDE, GNOME3, XFCE or Unity with compositing turned on?
                  Are you saying it is only used for things like LXDE / compositing turned of?
                  As mentioned, Cairo is probably the main user, which is built into a lot of GTK apps. Qt using the native drawing backend uses it as well. However, the compositors and desktops themselves are basically OpenGL based and don't use it at all. It's the apps themselves which use it.

With Wayland, XRender will likely largely go away. XWayland apps will still use it, but native apps will probably just use standard OpenGL acceleration.

Comment

Originally posted by rrohbeck
                    I thought the newer Unigine demos need a newer OpenGL version than Mesa supplies but if you can fake it...
                    Actually they only need some features from newer OpenGL versions and the required features happen to be implemented already and by "luck" it doesn't try to use anything that's not implemented yet.

Comment

Thanks!
                      So when I browse the internet, a new page would be drawn faster or when I paint in gimp / load a picture or load a pdf - all those stuff would be drawn and scrolled faster? interesting.
                      That's my understanding of it. You're very welcome

Comment

Working...
                      X