Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora Rawhide Is Good For RadeonSI Users

Phoronix: Fedora Rawhide Is Good For RadeonSI Users

For Fedora users depending upon the RadeonSI Gallium3D driver -- the open-source support for the Radeon HD 7000 series GPU and newer -- it's a much better experience running Fedora "Rawhide" if you don't mind living in a rolling development world...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

easy, llvm 3.4 brings opengl 3.1 support for radeonsi

Comment

...you still need to be a modest gamer...
      Unless you're playing Metro Last Light I doubt there's much on Linux that couldn't be comfortably handled by a 7000 series card, even with nerfed performance. There's not a lot of difference between 300 FPS and 100 FPS.

Comment

I played Trine 2 on HD 6750m using the open source driver. The frame rate seemed to be comparable to that of Windows but the picture quality was better on Windows (better lighting and effects). I am guessing the difference is because of the lower version of OpenGL on Linux. Still, the quality on Linux was good enough and overall I think the open source driver is in a good shape and getting closer to replace the binary. I'd happily go down in GL version and give up some performance for an open source, more stable driver with support for DRI_PRIME and soon Wayland.

Comment

Originally posted by kaprikawn View Post
          Unless you're playing Metro Last Light I doubt there's much on Linux that couldn't be comfortably handled by a 7000 series card, even with nerfed performance. There's not a lot of difference between 300 FPS and 100 FPS.
          If your screen only refreshes 60htrz, then there is no difference. :-D

Comment

Originally posted by ua=42 View Post
            If your screen only refreshes 60htrz, then there is no difference. :-D
            There might be a slight difference if the rendering is not completely decoupled from the internal workings of the engine...

I have read that especially for Source Engine multiplayer 60+ fps make a difference because of some synchronization stuff, but I don't remember it well.

Comment

Wrt the 2D performance enhancements: do keep in mind RadeonSI 2D accel runs with glamor only. Glamor is still getting significant performance improvements every release and Rawhide most likely follows Git very closely instead of waiting for glamor releases.

Comment

Originally posted by kaprikawn View Post
                I think DOTA2 is still slow. Most other games should run ok.

Comment

Working...
                X