Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Issues Official Statement Over osTestBackdoorATI

Phoronix: AMD Issues Official Statement Over osTestBackdoorATI

A few days ago we ran a story entitled A Backdoor In AMD's Catalyst OpenCL Library? While it was later cleared up by a tweet from an AMD engineer, AMD has now issued an official statement...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Yay, so this stupid non-issue got their attention. Too bad the press couldn't have brought their attention to something useful, like their terrible driver support.

Comment

So, harmless debug hook with strange name. What a surprise...

Comment

Originally posted by Vash63 View Post
        Yay, so this stupid non-issue got their attention. Too bad the press couldn't have brought their attention to something useful, like their terrible driver support.
        This issue was easier to address.

Comment

I used to be an AMD fanboy like you then i took an Linux in the knee

Comment

I used to be an AMD fanboy like you then i took an Linux in the knee
            then i took an Linux in the knee
            took an Linux in the
            an Linux in
            an Linux
            What.
            Last edited by profoundWHALE; 17 January 2014, 12:08 AM.

Comment

If anyone is doubting this, the way to check would be something like
              Code:
              nm $LIB_OF_INTEREST |grep -A 15 osTestBackdoorATI
              Every 'U ....' until the next function name is used in osTestBackdoorATI.

I'm not testing because 1, I've got an HD3200M which isn't supported in the relevant version (afaict), and 2, I gave up on fglrx a couple years ago because VT switching was unusably slow.

Comment

Originally posted by profoundWHALE View Post
                What.
                I guess you haven't played Skyrim then, or maybe you just lack a sense of humor.

Either way: http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/i-took...ow-in-the-knee

Comment

Originally posted by IanS View Post
                  I guess you haven't played Skyrim then, or maybe you just lack a sense of humor.

Either way: http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/i-took...ow-in-the-knee
                  pretty sure he was referring to the usage of "an", which is typically used with words starting with a vowel sound. "Linux" does not.

Comment

Originally posted by Ancurio View Post
                    pretty sure he was referring to the usage of "an", which is typically used with words starting with a vowel sound. "Linux" does not.
                    Of course he was, but the "an" was left as is on purpose to go with the joke. The fact that he was fixating on the obvious intentional misuse of grammar as if it was just some sloppy mistake is what prompted me to point out the origin of the joke being made. Doing a straight drop in mad lib style word replacement without changing anything else in a popular meme is standard fare for this sort of thing.

Comment

Working...
                    X