Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD's Radeon R9 270 Is Far From Perfect On Linux

Phoronix: AMD's Radeon R9 270 Is Far From Perfect On Linux

A Red Hat employee working on Fedora QA has shared his experience using an AMD Radeon R9 270 graphics card under Fedora with both the open-source RadeonSI driver and the closed-source Catalyst driver. For both drivers, the AMD R9 270 is "far from perfect" on Linux...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I really understand why Steam survey shows only 1% of Linux players in its user base.
    Yup.

Valve has a real uphill battle on their hands.

Comment

So, the patches in 3.13-rc7 didn't help in this case (other than in Unvanquished)? Well, that's sad.

Comment

The New AMD Catalyst in SteamOS works really well

Comment

Originally posted by Attent?ter View Post
          The New AMD Catalyst in SteamOS works really well
          Does it fixes stuttering in TF2 and L4D2?

Comment

Far from perfect?! More like far from being useful...

Comment

The current Fedora 20 graphics stack is far from ideal; he really should upgrade to llvm-3.4 and Mesa-10, or even better git snapshots of both. I don't know what Red Hat was thinking, really, especially if they're not planning another release until August!

Update: Okay, I just read the blog, apparently he did upgrade Mesa, although something is very fishy with his results, there's no way he should be getting almost exactly the same performance with Mesa-9 as Mesa-10 as he's showing!
              Last edited by s_j_newbury; 09 January 2014, 05:04 AM.

Comment

I also find it hard to believe that so many games, that run well with r600g (Dota 2, Portal, TF2) seem to be crashing outright with radeonSI...

Comment

the fan speed being higher than with the Catalyst driver.
                  This is exactly why I switched back to Catalyst. My 7970 has a boot fan speed of 35% which is then set to 20% below 50C in Catalyst (both Windows and Linux) making it and the rest of the computer extremely quiet. The open source driver on the other hand doesn't slow the fan down at all, giving it an irritating whine when I'm just working on regular applications. Around 50-60C, it would then unnecessarily rev the fan very hard even though in Catalyst the fan doesn't really speed up until 70C. All the nice stuff in the open source driver doesn't matter a bit if it annoys the hell out of you with noise at idle.

Comment

Originally posted by ricequackers View Post
                    This is exactly why I switched back to Catalyst. My 7970 has a boot fan speed of 35% which is then set to 20% below 50C in Catalyst (both Windows and Linux) making it and the rest of the computer extremely quiet. The open source driver on the other hand doesn't slow the fan down at all, giving it an irritating whine when I'm just working on regular applications. Around 50-60C, it would then unnecessarily rev the fan very hard even though in Catalyst the fan doesn't really speed up until 70C. All the nice stuff in the open source driver doesn't matter a bit if it annoys the hell out of you with noise at idle.
                    Reported the bug?

Comment

Working...
                    X