Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Open-Source AMD Radeon Graphics Had A Wonderful 2013

Phoronix: Open-Source AMD Radeon Graphics Had A Wonderful 2013

A few days ago I published the AMD Catalyst 2013 Year-In-Review that looked at all of AMD's binary Linux GPU driver releases of 2013. The state of Catalyst in 2013 was rather sad, especially compared to NVIDIA's very exciting year. Fortunately, on the open-source side, the AMD Gallium3D-based driver had a great year with many improvements made that are beginning to make the open-source driver sufficient for gaming with Radeon GPUs.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Fantastic improvement! Impressed...

Comment

As (happy) user of 5730M is concurre.

Have not used Catalyst in a long time.

Last thing on the check list is OpenGL 3.3 support. But even if AMD wont do it by themselfs, they will make all the needed changes to common infrastructure for gallium 3D (if Nouveau wont do it first). From that it will be a lot easier to do it by community.

Comment

I can definitely vouch for the improvement in the OSS drivers this year. I've been using a Radeon 5400 at work and I've been using an A6-3500 Llano, a HD6850, and now a 7850 at home.

I've seen remarkable increases in performance, stability, capability, power usage, and rendering quality in the past year across all of the GPUs. I can't wait until LLVM 3.4 gets released, and all of the distro drivers for RadeonSI get recompiled against it.

Comment

Radeon Express 1250 OpenGL is still broken, texture transfer memory corruption is still here.
          Any developer willing to look at the issue via remote login (RDP, Teamviewer etc), please contact me! I can also place 50€ or a beer box of Weihenstephaner or Augustiner to fix it.

Also, I don't quite understand why 6950 is very very similar to 4890? It should at least be three to four times faster...

Comment

Thank you all of you to make such a good progress this year(Marek, Alex, Michael, Christian, Tom and Vladim) Since I reinstalled my pc based on Fritsch' instruction everything works nicely. I do have a feeling now that I can do whatever I want to do work with Linux using AMD hardware.

Thank you. Happy new year.

Ps. Bridgeman: AMD employs very helpful guys who supports the community (very-very positive news to AMD) and other side AMD just creating so many problems(FGLRX). Where is this ending? Do they have longer term strategy? I do not mind if they give more information to the FOSS developers as if they have something in their hand as they make gold from it.

Comment

I'm just waiting for a little more maturity to the opencl support to make the big switch to FOSS drivers. maybe it could happen in 2014.

Comment

Originally posted by LN17 View Post
                Thank you all of you to make such a good progress this year(Marek, Alex, Michael, Christian, Tom and Vladim) Since I reinstalled my pc based on Fritsch' instruction everything works nicely. I do have a feeling now that I can do whatever I want to do work with Linux using AMD hardware.

Thank you. Happy new year.

Ps. Bridgeman: AMD employs very helpful guys who supports the community (very-very positive news to AMD) and other side AMD just creating so many problems(FGLRX). Where is this ending? Do they have longer term strategy? I do not mind if they give more information to the FOSS developers as if they have something in their hand as they make gold from it.
                They seem to be on a really good path. Fglrx now seems like a fallback of sorts. I really hope this is their near term strategy. It would be really positive if the AMD steamboxes come with open drivers. This would allow game devs to actually be able to look at the driver's code and better predict its behaviour or even provide commits to improve performance or correct bugs that affect their graphic engines. This may very well take us to the point where performance would be much better with the open drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by LN17 View Post
                  They're a company -- you'll notice any company does terrible and great stuff at the same time...

Comment

Originally posted by Figueiredo View Post
                    This would allow game devs to actually be able to look at the driver's code and better predict its behaviour or even provide commits to improve performance or correct bugs that affect their graphic engines. This may very well take us to the point where performance would be much better with the open drivers.
                    Then, we wouldn't be able to see their game/engine code by ourselves (I'm sure you're talking about non-free games here)...

Comment

Working...
                    X