Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RadeonSI Performance Patch Sharply Improves Frame-Rates

Phoronix: RadeonSI Performance Patch Sharply Improves Frame-Rates

A new patch by Marek Ol??k can boost the performance of modern AMD Radeon HD 7000+ series graphics cards on the open-source "RadeonSI" driver by multiple times...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

And Catalyst is at ... ?

Comment

Originally posted by przemoli View Post
      And Catalyst is at ... ?
      This patch has nothing to do with catalyst.

Comment

My first thought actually

Originally posted by przemoli View Post
        And Catalyst is at ... ?
        How well does it scale with binary driver, can anyone say? I mean, i idnt decide on new year present to myself yet

Comment

This is great news. I had suspected something was wrong. The numbers from radeonsi always seemed too low even after DPM was made available.

Marek, you're freakin awesome. This oss community owes you a lot.

Now I think a gcn card on linux may actually be viable. 2D performance seems to be the last issue that needs fixed.

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post
            This patch has nothing to do with catalyst.
            I believe he means how many fps frglx achieves in relation to the 90 fps achieved by radeonsi with said drm patch...

Comment

Originally posted by Figueiredo View Post
              I believe he means how many fps frglx achieves in relation to the 90 fps achieved by radeonsi with said drm patch...
              That's it!

(Catalyst =/= fglrx, but when calling for numbers they are basically same)

Comment

Wow, simply just wow. And thanks again Marek for improving the RadeonSI performance

Comment

It turns out the open-source AMD Radeon graphics driver on kernels up through Linux 3.13 only enables the render back-ends for the first shader engine and disables the rest by accident. With Marek's correction with the new patch that changes less than a dozen lines of code, the other render back-ends are enabled and it sharply improves the performance.
                  And this has gone unnoticed for months? Wow!

Comment

This is great! Performance improvements with AMD's drivers and with games coming to linux because of steam makes me really hopefully that I'll be able to ditch windows and switch to linux for my desktop in the near future. :-D

And this has gone unnoticed for months?
                    It wasn't until a couple months ago that they were still working on catching up on opengl support. Driver development generally goes like this: Make it render -> implement all the openGL commands -> Work on performance.

Comment

Working...
                    X