Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Suggestions about how to make a Radeon HD 7790 work decently?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mmstick View Post
    You don't seem to understand simple logic at all so your comments are merely incoherent nonsense. You are stating that different driver versions magically change how you install drivers when that is not the case. The driver installer doesn't give a crap about what GPU you have installed. Seriously, I package my own Catalyst drivers for every new driver release and install that to 5 desktops -- nothing has changed at all. Furthermore, AMD's drivers have been updated at least once every two months so I have no idea where you have been.
    It's not about "MAGIC" , it's about support for a specific architecture/build, how else do you explain legacy drivers then? Or performance drivers?

Comment

FWIW, on Debian testing after the new 3.12 kernel with flgrx I can move my cursor over to the far right edge of my right monitor, desktop effects are still disabled (Required X extensions (XComposite and XDamage) are not available.) Screen weirdness scrolling with my mouse wheel on my right monitor. At this point using the proprietary driver on Debian Jessie my $70 video card will have comparable performance to my 5+ year old onboard graphics using the open source radeon driver by some time in 2016. Steamy piles of fun!

Comment

Originally posted by Praxis View Post
        FWIW, on Debian testing after the new 3.12 kernel with flgrx I can move my cursor over to the far right edge of my right monitor, desktop effects are still disabled (Required X extensions (XComposite and XDamage) are not available.) Screen weirdness scrolling with my mouse wheel on my right monitor. At this point using the proprietary driver on Debian Jessie my $70 video card will have comparable performance to my 5+ year old onboard graphics using the open source radeon driver by some time in 2016. Steamy piles of fun!
        Debian/testing + Catalyst works fine for me. If you haven't done so, try running

aticonfig --initial

as root. Also, what is your output of

fglrxinfo

Comment

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
          Debian/testing + Catalyst works fine for me. If you haven't done so, try running

aticonfig --initial

as root. Also, what is your output of

fglrxinfo
          What's your card? My pet peeve is when people say X works fine for me and then asks for CLI info. But, they don't say what their hardware is or what they were doing OR what they do (most often).

It would be interesting to have more info especially when there's a lot more 'what card should I buy/which driver should I use' posts recently. ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by Panix View Post
            What's your card? My pet peeve is when people say X works fine for me and then asks for CLI info. But, they don't say what their hardware is or what they were doing OR what they do (most often).

It would be interesting to have more info especially when there's a lot more 'what card should I buy/which driver should I use' posts recently. ;-)
            Just get rid of Catalyst. The latest git of mesa and radeon open source drivers gives higher FPS, significantly less stutter, and best of all, no bugs.

Comment

yes update the kernal to 3.13 and run the latest oibaf PPA and you will see amazing improvements.

im running a lower spec gpu than you (trinity APU) and the new updates are giving me fps silky smooth more than i have seen on windows. vsync works, AA works.

Comment

Originally posted by phill1978 View Post
                yes update the kernal to 3.13 and run the latest oibaf PPA and you will see amazing improvements.

im running a lower spec gpu than you (trinity APU) and the new updates are giving me fps silky smooth more than i have seen on windows. vsync works, AA works.
                Where are you folks getting your 3.13 kernels? The repos? I used an early 3.13 kernel and it seemed about the same as 3.12, i.e., not great.

Comment

Originally posted by Praxis View Post
                  Where are you folks getting your 3.13 kernels? The repos? I used an early 3.13 kernel and it seemed about the same as 3.12, i.e., not great.
                  You have a Bonaire IIRC, so I don't think 3.13 kernels enable DPM for you. You can pick up a 3.13 final kernel and manually enable dpm, or (probably better) pick up an early 3.14 kernel (eg agd5f's drm-next-3.14 branch) which has some CI dpm fixes *and* enables DPM on CI by default. You'll also need current userspace bits from the repos.

For what it's worth, all the people telling you great things about 3.13 + repos with their SI cards are telling the truth, but CI DPM is running about 1/2 a kernel release behind SI DPM.
                  Last edited by bridgman; 28 January 2014, 06:27 PM.
                  Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                    You have a Bonaire IIRC, so I don't think 3.13 kernels enable DPM for you. You can pick up a 3.13 final kernel and manually enable dpm, or (probably better) pick up an early 3.14 kernel (eg agd5f's drm-next-3.14 branch) which has some CI dpm fixes *and* enables DPM on CI by default. You'll also need current userspace bits from the repos.

For what it's worth, all the people telling you great things about 3.13 + repos with their SI cards are telling the truth, but CI DPM is running about 1/2 a kernel release behind SI DPM.
                    Not quite pre-chewed enough of a suggestion for my week teeth. I googled the paranthetical 'eg' and found this page, but I have no idea to cull a kernel out of it.

Comment

Nevermind, I installed 3.14rc2 from here: http://linuxg.net/how-to-install-ker...elementary-os/

Big improvement on the open source driver (presumably radeonSI). With the oibaf/graphics-drivers stack I can now do KDE Desktop Effects (fusion-icon still segfaults, but it does that on all 13.10 installs I've seen regardless of graphics card or driver). 1080p plays fine. 2D movement is fluid and decent.

I just hope that 3.14 gets in to Trusty Tahr (or the important bits are backported in to 3.13) and I'll be able to rely on the LVM, etc. in the repository instead of having to enable a development repository with ginormous package churn and occasional regressions.

I guess I can finally start messing around with those games I got this card to play.

Comment

Working...
                      X