AMD APU vs. Radeon GPU Open-Source Comparison

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chithanh View Post
    The folks from HardOCP know that the numbers are meaningless, but they include them anyway because people keep asking for them.

The only thing that matters for a [H] review is the gameplay experience, something which can only be poorly expressed in terms of fps numbers.
    The value of a game benchmark is not in the results. Everybody knows what the desired results should be. The value of a game benchmark is in the configuration used to achieve the desired results. A game benchmark that runs at 3 frames doesnt even come anywhere near what is desired. That has no value.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
      The testing isn't about letting you know if a game is playable or not per se but using it as a means of measuring/comparing performance improvements and differences, etc. I don't even play video games myself nor do a majority of the companies using PTS care about the game performance from that metric.
      As Duby and I have been saying for a long time now, your results are very much worthless. Take a look at the HardOCP link I posted earlier, note how they lay out their graphs with a a line at 30FPS as the minimum playable threshold and a line at 60FPS as the idealized threshold and how they test for minimum framerate as well as tweaking settings for maximum detail settings for a given card to still get a playable framerate.

If cards start pushing past 100FPS in a game at max detail settings at 2560x1600 they retire the game from the list as at that point you have to go to 5670x1080 or higher which is uncommon for anyone not using a top of the line GPU. Why? Because at over 100FPS you are doing a CPU bound benchmark, not a GPU bound benchmark.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
        Ouch. Why are they pretending to do a fair compare, if each playthrough is manual? Their numbers are meaningless.

On the presentation, like others said, it's the exact same info, just presented differently. I really don't care if the min/max numbers were also in table form, because they alone are not that useful: what if it was a single anomalous spike? In the graph you can see how often the spikes appear.
        Take a closer look, they are actually testing the cards to their actual limits of maintaining playability by pushing the settings on each card to the point where they should just barely fall below the minimum playable threshold once or twice during the test.

Those spikes are present in real demos and real gameplay because the GPU load in no game is a constant. As the number of things going on on screen increases and falls so to does the load on the GPU and thus the framerate also rises and falls with it. Theres a world of difference between the GPU load of sitting in a building with no firefight happening and going outside of it and having a war zone raging on.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
          I was telling you what I care about. I know gamers care about achieving consistently at least 60 FPS.
          You run a gaming site moron.

Comment

Originally posted by Kivada View Post
            If cards start pushing past 100FPS in a game at max detail settings at 2560x1600 they retire the game from the list as at that point you have to go to 5670x1080 or higher which is uncommon for anyone not using a top of the line GPU. Why? Because at over 100FPS you are doing a CPU bound benchmark, not a GPU bound benchmark.
            It is important to know if CPU or GPU is bottleneck.

Comment

Originally posted by JS987 View Post
              It is important to know if CPU or GPU is bottleneck.
              Unless you are playing a heavy RTS or a simulator like Flightgear or MS Flight Sim then it's safe to say that the GPU is the bottleneck until you hit the levels of resolution and detail I mentioned before. Once those same titles are averaging 120+ FPS at 2560x1600, the highest resolution available on consumer monitors up until very recently.

In 5 years when you can pick up a 3840x2160 for $150 then the goalpost will be moved. Just as it was when the average high res screen was only 1024x760 but most people ran 640x4080 or 800x800 to get acceptable framerates, this was upped to 1280x1024 then 1600x1200 then 1920x1200 then to 2560x1600. Such is technological progress.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
                I'm afraid you have me confused with another poster, I responded because I agreed that HardOCP does game benchmarks the best.
                I most certainly did mistake you for the original poster. Apologies.

Comment

Originally posted by Kivada View Post
                  You run a gaming site moron.
                  Does he?
                  According to the site creator/maintainer he doesn't.
                  IMHO, he doesn't as well: he runs a benchmarking site which focuses on linux/bsd.

Comment

Originally posted by liam View Post
                    Does he?
                    IMHO, he doesn't as well: he runs a benchmarking site which focuses on linux/bsd.
                    I'm not condoning name calling of course, that was out of line, but he is right. It doesnt matter what os the game runs on. What matters is that he's doing it wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by liam View Post
                      Does he?
                      May I point you to one of my previous pages and the homepage of this site:

From http://phoronix.com/forums/showthrea...836#post375836

So either he is confused as to what his stated job is or he is trying to weasel out of doing what is expected of him by keeping up with his peers doing the same job on other sites.

Comment

Working...
                      X