AMD Wants Mantle On Linux, OS X, Mobile Devices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nightmarex View Post
    Intels QuickSync is a Windows only thing at them moment and there GPU's perform leagues better in Windows.
    Are you sure with that? I mean i have read that you can encode with va-api

Comment

In my opinion, at this point on Linux anything that doesn't get Intel's support will not see the light of day. So, Mantle's fate is in the hands of Intel.

Comment

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
        True. Apple barely managed to implement OpenGL 4.1 (was released in 2010) into their brand new OSX version which came out just a few weeks ago. Apple really doesn't care about any graphics APIs.
        Apple cares a lot about graphics APIs/Performance..... Just not on the desktop.

Comment

Chris Roberts of Star Citizen, Daniel Baker and Tim Kip of Oxide, Jurjen Katsman of Nixxes, Guennadi Riguer of AMD and Johan Andersson of DICE answer questio...

Mantle Q.A. with developers

Comment

Originally posted by log0 View Post
            I have to say I like what I've seen so far (high level bits). They are exposing GPU engines (Graphics, Compute, DMA) and memory to the developer, allow to feed the command buffers directly and handle memory allocation. This means a bit more work for developers using this API, but also more control over GPU (and simpler drivers ).
            That's the main thing I'm really not sure about. The Mantle developers really see it as an advantage, but I wouldn't be certain of that. Looking at their presentations, it seems it's a Windows background, where all drivers are horrible and black boxes, as opposed to Linux where be have all the OSS drivers and Gallium3D. On Windows, sure, the ability to go on a lower level means you can sidestep the drivers that could be misbehaving, since you have no chance of fixing them. But with OSS drivers, you can very well fix them, and that helps not only your game, but all of the others as well. That's a great way of moving forward. Without that, there will be a lot of code duplication.

What's worse, Mantle is set to pushing the issues from the driver to the game. And we can change drivers, but games so far have stayed proprietary. So if the game developers made some optimisations, it will run fine on the current generation of graphics cards, but what if the next generation comes and the old code is no longer optimal? The developers no longer maintain the game, so all the bugs stay there forever.

Another issue of going low-level like that is that, as the Mantle developers said, there is no security. And that's very bad. There is a good reason why processors got protected mode instead of real mode. You can't trust game developers to implement everything correctly. What if they do something that makes the GPU lock up? That's it, you have an equivalent of a kernel panic/BSOD. That should never be allowed. GPU bugs that cause lockups are bad enough, but now you also add another source of critical bugs ? one you can't do anything about, because games are proprietary.

Comment

Originally posted by Boland View Post
              Apple cares a lot about graphics APIs/Performance..... Just not on the desktop.
              To the ill-informed: OS X is OpenGL 4.1 throughout. No OS on the planet matches that fact. We aren't talking about OpenGL 4.4 for a Game, but OpenGL 4.1 for every bit of 2D/3D built-into the OS from the ground up.

When Apple pushes out OpenGL 4.3 people will still whine it hasn't hit 5.x or whatever the next major version of OpenGL spec gets released.

Meanwhile, Windows isn't OpenGL accelerated for obvious reasons. Linux DE is on the verge of embracing OpenGL 2.1 and bits of 3.x for KDE 5 and GNOME 4.x. Maybe in 3-5 years they'll be at 4.x.

Comment

There's a GNOME 4.x? Man I can't wait to see what that's going to be like. Will they double down on the insanity or actually come to their senses?

Comment

???

Originally posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post
                  To the ill-informed: OS X is OpenGL 4.1 throughout. No OS on the planet matches that fact. We aren't talking about OpenGL 4.4 for a Game, but OpenGL 4.1 for every bit of 2D/3D built-into the OS from the ground up.

When Apple pushes out OpenGL 4.3 people will still whine it hasn't hit 5.x or whatever the next major version of OpenGL spec gets released.

Meanwhile, Windows isn't OpenGL accelerated for obvious reasons. Linux DE is on the verge of embracing OpenGL 2.1 and bits of 3.x for KDE 5 and GNOME 4.x. Maybe in 3-5 years they'll be at 4.x.
                  you are sleeping for many years i think

Comment

And if wishes were horses, fglrx would have been usable a decade ago. Wants are endless, AMD, if you don't put in the resources to make it happen, they wont.

Comment

Originally posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post
                      Linux DE is on the verge of embracing OpenGL 2.1 and bits of 3.x for KDE 5
                      This is kde 4.x:

Comment

Working...
                      X