Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 13-Way AMD Open Linux GPU Drivers On The Source Engine

Phoronix: 13-Way AMD Open Linux GPU Drivers On The Source Engine

For your viewing pleasure today is a 13-way AMD Radeon graphics card comparison when testing out the open-source Radeon Gallium3D drivers on the wide spectrum of ATI/AMD GPUs while looking at the performance for Valve's Source Engine with Counter-Strike: Source and Team Fortress 2. Given the imminent arrival of Steam Machines and SteamOS to push Linux gaming into its long-awaited spotlight, is AMD's open-source Linux graphics driver capable of delivering a reasonable level of performance?

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    The Radeon HD 7850, HD 7950, and R9 270X graphics cards on the RadeonSI driver failed to work four both TF2 and CS:S; it appeared due to GLSL issues.
    That's quite strange. I am happily using radeonsi on those games (as well as other Source games such as L4D2 and Dota2) with a HD 7870, although it is true that I have my mesa recompiled with llvm-3.4 (which solves quite a bunch of bugs).

Comment

Source needs OpenGL 3, LLVM 3.3 only supports 2.1 with RadeonSI, OpenGL 3 support is in LLVM 3.4

Comment

I'm Noob..
        How do you update the LLVM?

Comment

Originally posted by ObscureAngelPT View Post
          I'm Noob..
          How do you update the LLVM?
          Depends on your distribution. On Slackware it is: Download the source, adapt the version number in the SlackBuild script, run it and install the generated package.
          On other distributions you will do that different, for example on Debian or Ubuntu just do a web search for "how to backport" or something similar.

Comment

IIRC the shader count was doubled going from HD48xx to HD58xx so even though the 5830 is cut down pretty far it still has more shader ALUs (1120) than a fully configured 48xx (800).
            Test signature

Comment

The issue with glColorMaskIndexedEXT is a hardware limitation. R500 and HD2900 don't support it in hardware and there is nothing the driver can do about it.

Comment

updating llvm

Originally posted by Vim_User View Post
                Depends on your distribution. On Slackware it is: Download the source, adapt the version number in the SlackBuild script, run it and install the generated package.
                On other distributions you will do that different, for example on Debian or Ubuntu just do a web search for "how to backport" or something similar.
                Its even easier in times of the build service. Go here:

Choose your distro from the drop-down-menu (click on the wrench). Currently selected is opensuse 13.1. Then search for llvm or for whatever this package is called on your distro. Then download the package and install it (normaly by just klicking on it). For suse you even have these 1-click-install buttons online.

Comment

Michael thank you again for those proper gaming benchmarks. Thats why it is important to test test source-engine's and other not open source games. To see in realistic situations what challenges the open-source drivers face.

Of course Xonotic and other FOSS games are good to measure any improvements made from release to release but only for that.

Comment

6450 performance is very poor, I won't buy that card

Comment

Working...
                    X