Radeon Gallium3D Improvements Compared To Legacy Catalyst

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by synaptix View Post
    I also had radeon.dpm=1 set and R600_DEBUG=sb set in my /etc/environment so wouldn't need to set it on a per game basis. Also had SwapbuffersWait set to False in xorg.conf.

Still couldn't achieve over 10 fps even at 800x600.
    Thats because you were definitely running it in software rasterizer.
    Ask "glxinfo|grep -i render" for more. Pretty much result of launching 32bit application in 64bit system without 32bit (mesa) libraries in place.

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post
      The problem is reviewing sensitive technical details for 7 year old chips is not a high priority for hw/sw architects that are busy with lots of other things so it can take a while.
      I would agree with that if those chips were deprecated in reality, read: not sold anymore. But they aren't, there is still a massive number of new mainboards out there using those chips. In fact, you are forced to use those chipsets if you want an AM3(+) system in mATX format, since it is impossible to get mATX boards with newer chipsets (which don't feature IGPs, by the way). The 800 series chipsets are still the chipsets of choice if you want AM3(+) and IGP and/or mATX. So the chips itself aren't deprecated or legacy, just the driver is. AMD is still getting money for them, so they should support them in the same way as there other non-legacy products.

Comment

Originally posted by synaptix View Post
        I also had radeon.dpm=1 set and R600_DEBUG=sb set in my /etc/environment so wouldn't need to set it on a per game basis. Also had SwapbuffersWait set to False in xorg.conf.

Still couldn't achieve over 10 fps even at 800x600.
        Radeon DPM by default in my pc works very bad for games. My solution is than in /sys/class/drm/card0/device/power_dpm_state ,
        by default is in the state "balanced", what I do is to force the performance level changing it to "performance", so, It runs a lot better for games, maybe that will help you. I took that info from here http://www.botchco.com/agd5f/?p=57

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post
          The problem is reviewing sensitive technical details for 7 year old chips is not a high priority for hw/sw architects that are busy with lots of other things so it can take a while.
          I just want to underline that you would make many people happy as many mainboards from that time have these chips. This is the last missing peace for having it working as I want. Please do not forget the "old" chips, or they become useless (=old) more early. On [1] it seems that it is mainly a legal problem (?), then you can't do anything about it, but we always love news (good and bad). Thanks for this awesome driver

[1] http://phoronix.com/forums/showthrea...ht=#post339171

Comment

Working...
          X