Radeon Gallium3D Improvements Compared To Legacy Catalyst

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
    Isn't the 4870 the card that everyone always asks Michael "Whats wrong with your card?" because its performance numbers are out of whack with similar cards?
    No, that's the HD 6570. Not the 4870s. I have many HD 4870s as that was back during the days when AMD sent out globs of hardware and all of my HD 4870s are performing about the same.
    Michael Larabel
    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by boot View Post
      Hasn't been updated since January.

With these requirements: Automated installer and Display Drivers for Xorg 6.9 to Xserver 1.12 and Kernel version up to 3.4

Maybe people are stuck with Xserver 1.12 (which is not that bad), however, the legacy driver seems to work fine with kernels at least up to 3.11 (properly patched, of course) [1]

[1] https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php...ial_repository

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
        No, that's the HD 6570. Not the 4870s. I have many HD 4870s as that was back during the days when AMD sent out globs of hardware and all of my HD 4870s are performing about the same.
        Okie Dokie Wasn't sure and I didn't want to rip on the benchmark without asking first. Honestly a little surprised at performance for this card because I thought this class of hardware was doing better than that o_O
        All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by edoantonioco View Post
          In my case, I think source games runs a bit better (hd42000) in linux free driver than in windows (thats something
          ???

I have HD4200 as well and I tried TF2 with it running the open source drivers and the game was pretty much unplayable (less than 5 fps no matter what settings I had used).

Comment

Originally posted by sandain View Post
            They are providing updated drivers via the OSS radeon driver, nearly fully supporting your hardware [1].
            Unless you happen to have a RS780/880 or RV790, then you get no UVD support at all. Quite funny, since the RS880 is still sold today and still the standard IGP for AMD's top of the line FX CPUs. Basically, AMD is saying a loud "Fuck You!!!" to anyone that wants a FX or Phenom II CPU, but needs an IGP. Meanwhile, Nvidia, the company without all the console deals to make money from, updated their legacy drivers to work with the latest kernel and Xserver, supporting their product line back to 2004.
            AMD in comparison: Products from 2007, with a 3.4 kernel and Xserver 1.12. Wanna try F2FS on your new SSD? AMD says: Only if you use inofficial patches. Wanna have the new fixed power-management? AMD says: "Fuck you, not with our driver!".

Comment

Originally posted by Vim_User View Post
              Unless you happen to have a RS780/880 or RV790, then you get no UVD support at all.
              Hah, at first I interpreted this sentence as "Unless you happen to have a RS780/880 or RV790, you get no UVD support at all", while it's obviously meant to be "Unless you happen to have a RS780/880 or RV790. In which case you get no UVD support at all".

Wanna have the new fixed power-management? AMD says: "Fuck you, not with our driver!".
              No, they're saying "hold on, we need to pass technical review first".

Comment

Do the Oibaf drivers use the LLVM backend

Compiled with --enable-llvm or whatever the Mesa flag is?

I wonder if the "old" backend might give better results, since i don't think the llvm backend has focused as much on older hardware. It's interesting to see how much better optimized the Evergreen results seem to be compared to these r700 results.

Comment

Originally posted by synaptix View Post
                  ???

I have HD4200 as well and I tried TF2 with it running the open source drivers and the game was pretty much unplayable (less than 5 fps no matter what settings I had used).
                  Thats weird, because TF2 runs very good in my pc. Of course, I have "r600 back-end" activated and the DPM thing too.

Comment

Originally posted by edoantonioco View Post
                    Thats weird, because TF2 runs very good in my pc. Of course, I have "r600 back-end" activated and the DPM thing too.
                    I'm happy to announce that TF2 runs awesomely on Windows, on Linux not so much with OSS or Catalyst drivers with my HD4770.

I'm not asking AMD to support my card forever, but having parity would be good enough.

Comment

Unless you happen to have a RS780/880 or RV790, then you get no UVD support at all. Quite funny, since the RS880 is still sold today and still the standard IGP for AMD's top of the line FX CPUs. Basically, AMD is saying a loud "Fuck You!!!" to anyone that wants a FX or Phenom II CPU, but needs an IGP. Meanwhile, Nvidia, the company without all the console deals to make money from, updated their legacy drivers to work with the latest kernel and Xserver, supporting their product line back to 2004.
                      AMD in comparison: Products from 2007, with a 3.4 kernel and Xserver 1.12. Wanna try F2FS on your new SSD? AMD says: Only if you use inofficial patches. Wanna have the new fixed power-management? AMD says: "Fuck you, not with our driver!".
                      Given that you have the option to add these missing capabilities yourself, I fail to feel sorry for you. Patches are welcome.

Comment

Working...
                      X